Graduation Cake For Difficult Girl!!

Decorating By Daryl Updated 21 Jun 2006 , 1:07pm by Daryl

Daryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryl Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 11

Oh Help Me!!! I have a 75 person graduation cake to make for the most difficult girl in the world. She wants 5, 6' cakes. She has no favorite color, no theme, doesn't want her school, or her name. She has a request however for black roses. I agree to do one of the cakes with it, and other designs on it, because I am afraid her parents will freak. Any suggestions on what other designs I should do. All in fondant...not pastels, just prim icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ary colors. Thank you!!!

10 replies
frostie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostie Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 11

I would put the cake with the black roses in the middle and arrange the other cakes around it, putting the center one on a stand , so it is alittle higher and do all of them in white fondant and use black fondant for the decorations, such as dot a dots on one, vertiical strips on another one, diamonds on one, etc. I think that it could be kind of cute!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 5:58am
post #3 of 11

Out of curiosity, did her parents give her creative freedom with the cake? (I assume they are throwing the party and paying for it). I would run her ideas (Or lack of them) past them and get their thoughts.

I'll be watching this one. Sounds like you will need some help!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 11

Great ideas frostie, sounds like a winner!

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 11

I'm with Frostie, I think it could be kind of cute.
Maybe tier them with the different designs on each one, I think I would definitely run my ideas by the parents though!!
By the way I just looked at your photos and you have a great modern edge to your cakes, you should have no problem with this one! Good Luck

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 11

I like Frostie's idea. But I would do what the client wants. It's her graduation, so if she wants black roses, then why not black roses? I'm assuming since it's a graduation cake, she's old enough to decide what she wants on her cake, and her parents probably know that she's into that kind of stuff. Black roses can look cool paired with white and red. I'd do what she wants...it's her party.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 11

I wouldn't do ANYTHING without talking to MOM, and seeing who is paying for this..... OH, and I think the black and white could be really pretty.......

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:22am
post #8 of 11

yes, I agree that black and white cakes are very pretty. I guess I was picturing a more gothic looking cake in my head tho', but you're all right.

Does black fondant make your mouth black like buttercream if the guests eat the roses? That would be another reason to run it by mom and dad. Perhaps it would be funny to see grandma with black teeth and tongue. Perhaps not. I've never made black fondant tho', so I don't know.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:52am
post #9 of 11

How about something like this, and add some black roses?

or this one???
LL
LL

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 2:54am
post #10 of 11

http://www.justfab.com/listings/products.asp?cat=4&page=7

That picture is reallly small....you can see it better from here!

Daryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daryl Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for all the suggestions. She got more difficult. Didn't think it was possible, but she did. Reworked the whole thing. I am on 4 hours of sleep, and my last cake (I should not be on the computer!!!) Will post pics when all finished.
Thanks Again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%