Confetti Cakes Method

Decorating By beccakelly Updated 18 May 2007 , 12:23pm by bobwonderbuns

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 5

im reading the confetti cakes book, by elisa strauss and i love it! but her instructions to pipe a design on a cake using a template require outlining the template with pencil, then pressing the pencil side onto the fondant covered cake and rubbing the back of the template paper. the rubbing comes off onto the cake and you are supposed to follow the lines with the piping. is this safe? is there a particular type of pencil i should use that is food safe? i wouldn't think she'd publish anything that is unsafe, but i do have some concerns about this method. any thoughts?

4 replies
chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

I remember reading something about a non-toxic pencil recently. Let me find you the link...

Here it is:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-252621-pencil.html

It was to do with cookies, but I think the same rules would apply.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 5

I've purchased charcoal pencils at Michael's for doing this. I figure we cook with charcoal and eat burnt toast and steak, so it should be OK. I have been told not to use regular graphite pencils for this, though.

Rae

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 18 May 2007 , 4:18am
post #4 of 5

We used a graphite pencil for our cocoa paintings in one of my classes. But it was on pastillage, so who knows.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 5

Toba used a regular graphite pencil for image transfer (followed by the pinprick method) right onto the fondant on the cookie. She said the amount of carbon was insignificant to harm or affect taste of the food.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%