Transport Cakes For Stacking???

Decorating By awolf24 Updated 21 May 2007 , 3:01am by designsbydelights

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

Ok - I have very limited experience with stacking cakes but have a question. I'm sure the answer is very simple but I need your expertise.

I usually bake 8 or 9" rounds, 2 layers, yadda yadda. I put them on a 10" cake round and when I pack it in a 10" cake box to take somewhere, the circle fits in snugly and you have that extra inch or so around the bottom of the cake so that the cake itself doesn't touch the sides of a box.

So lets say that I decorate whatever size rounds that I want to transport somewhere to stack. Since I would not want the cake board to show, I would have decorated an 8" round on an 8" cake circle (or maybe 9" to allow for frosting), etc. Here's where my question comes in - since you don't have that extra width on the cake circle, how the heck do you put it in a box to take anywhere without it touching the sides of the box??

5 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 17 May 2007 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not quite sure other than suggesting you buy a larger box. But here's a bump for you

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 6

Why don't you just set your cake (that has the same size of cake board underneath) on another cake board a little larger, put some rubber shelf liner under your cake , then place it on the cake board that is a couple inches larger than your cake and then slide it into your box.

Does this make sense to you? That rubber shelf liner is awesome for transporting cakes.

I hope I answered your question.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 6

I use a bigger box than the cake and attach tape loops on the bottom of the board to adhere to the box. These make it secure inside during transport, cake sides do not touch the box and are easy enough to remove when I'm ready to stack.

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 6

I always use the rubber shelf liners under my cakes that I have to transport and then stack. I put the liner down in the box and stick the cake right on top of that. I have NEVER had a problem. Those thigns are fantastic. I also put one under the box that the cakes are in. Nothing moves.

designsbydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydelights Posted 21 May 2007 , 3:01am
post #6 of 6

I slap a little icing onto a larger circle plastic cake plate and take them to their final destination. I always pack a cake knife in my bag which helps me pry the cake loose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%