Cupcake Question - How To Get Batter In Cups Neatly

Decorating By CakeCrazyinNJ Updated 20 Jun 2006 , 7:31pm by koolchica

CakeCrazyinNJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrazyinNJ Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:05am
post #1 of 31

Hello all you cupcake experts. Those of you who make these little buggers all the time, can you pass along your trick for quickly and easily getting the batter in the cups without dripping everywhere?

I made some for a picnic today, and thought about using my biggest icing bag and coupler, but then decided to try a candy bottle. After snipping the top to make the hole bigger, this worked but it was messy getting the batter IN the bottle and I only got three cupcakes squirted at a time before needing to refill. So, it was tedious as well. And still as messy, only the mess was on the counter and not the cupcake tins.

Any and all tricks and tips are appreciated!! Love this site!!

Gretel
LL

30 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:12am
post #2 of 31

i use my 1/3 cup or 1/4, I also hold th cup kinda high and make sure it falls in th center. hope that help

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:15am
post #3 of 31

I'm not an expert but I tried using an ice cream scoop for the 1st time last week and loved it! All of the cupcakes turned out the same size.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:17am
post #4 of 31

That's what I just logged on to say. I use an ice cream scoop or a cookie scoop that works like and ice cream scoop. It usually takes 2 scoops from the cookie scoop.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:17am
post #5 of 31

I use a ice cream scoop all the time for them. Helps you get more even cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:19am
post #6 of 31

I also use an ice cream scoop.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:39am
post #7 of 31

I use a large cookie scoop. It holds 3 T of batter. Gets me level cupcakes everytime.

Leily

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 4:09am
post #8 of 31

I'm not sure how much my scoop holds, but it's the largest of the three from Pampered Chef.

It does a great job, gives me same-sized cupcakes, and helps keep the mess to a minimum.

hth!
Laura.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 4:34am
post #9 of 31

I also use an ice cream scoop. Best of luck to you!

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 31

I wish I could remember where I got my batter dispenser from, but I ordered it online.

It's a stainless steel batter dispense, and looks a bit like a flour sifter, but it has a hole in the bottom that opens when you squeeze the handle.

It holds enough batter for about 24 cupcakes and ever since I've gotten it, I've never had cupcake batter burned on my cupcake pans! I love it.

If you're interested, I'll bet you could find one by googling "batter dispenser".

leily Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slejdick

I'm not sure how much my scoop holds, but it's the largest of the three from Pampered Chef.

It does a great job, gives me same-sized cupcakes, and helps keep the mess to a minimum.

hth!
Laura.

This is the same one I use. I have measured it to be about 3T of water/batter.

Just to let you know =)

Leily

leily Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy-2002

I wish I could remember where I got my batter dispenser from, but I ordered it online.

It's a stainless steel batter dispense, and looks a bit like a flour sifter, but it has a hole in the bottom that opens when you squeeze the handle.

It holds enough batter for about 24 cupcakes and ever since I've gotten it, I've never had cupcake batter burned on my cupcake pans! I love it.

If you're interested, I'll bet you could find one by googling "batter dispenser".

I have seen something like this, it was being sold as a pancake batter dispenser.

http://www.alltvstuff.com/jb040610.html?source=Froogle

Here is one I found so you get the idea of it. If you want to search for prices I just went to www.froogle.com and typed in "pancake batter dispenser" then you can find a price range that works for you =)

HTH

Leily

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 31

I have never tried this, as I just spoon it in, but I am sure you could pipe it in with a pastry bag and a wide-open tip. Just remember to close the end by twisting before filling the bag or it may run out the tip end.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 3:30pm
post #14 of 31

I use a cookie scoop for mine. It is not as big as an ice cream scoop. One full scoop with the cookie scoop gets me a perfect size cupcake every time. They never bake over the rim when I do it this way.

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 3:35pm
post #15 of 31

I also use a cookie scoop and it works every time. Great cake by the way!! icon_smile.gif

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 31

Yep...gotta love the cookie scoop! It is funny, I am actually making muffins as I type and used my large cookie scoop, works perfect everytime!

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 3:43pm
post #17 of 31

For those of you who use cookie scoops and ice cream scoops, what brand name do you use? I have gone through about 3 cookie scoops within the last 3 years and they just never seem to last for me. Do your's last a long time?

Thanks

PS - Thank you to the OP for asking this - I was going to make some muffins the other day and I always use a ladle to get the batter out and still make a mess. I never thought about an ice cream scoop. Silly me.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 3:52pm
post #18 of 31

I use the Wilton Easy Pour Funnel. It was made for candy making but in my class the teacher showed us all these great uses for it!

It has a lever that you can open and close the hole with.

No Mess cupcakes every time!!

Ps- I have a few left, If anyone wants one, PM me and I can send you one.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 4:03pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxpuella

For those of you who use cookie scoops and ice cream scoops, what brand name do you use? I have gone through about 3 cookie scoops within the last 3 years and they just never seem to last for me. Do your's last a long time?

Thanks

PS - Thank you to the OP for asking this - I was going to make some muffins the other day and I always use a ladle to get the batter out and still make a mess. I never thought about an ice cream scoop. Silly me.

I got my cookie scoop from Corning Revere! I paid about $8 for it but it is very sturdy and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 4:10pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

I got my cookie scoop from Corning Revere! I paid about $8 for it but it is very sturdy and I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Thank you. I will have to look into that one. I guess I just don't have very good luck with them, lol. The spring loaded part always quits working on me.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:29pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I have seen something like this, it was being sold as a pancake batter dispenser.

http://www.alltvstuff.com/jb040610.html?source=Froogle

Here is one I found so you get the idea of it. If you want to search for prices I just went to www.froogle.com and typed in "pancake batter dispenser" then you can find a price range that works for you =)

HTH

Leily

Thanks so much -- That's it exactly! I also use it for pancakes and it's great! This thing has made my life so much easier. I highly recommend it.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jun 2006 , 5:43pm
post #22 of 31

I too use the large pampered chef scoop. I get 24 cupcakes everytime when I use it..... but gee I may have to try that dropper thing..

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 10:26am
post #23 of 31

Hi,
I just find the biggest disposable icing bag I have, fill it, clip it closed, and then cut off the tip with a pair of scissors. It's easy, and no mess.
Just pipe it in... it goes really really fast.
Karen

Downside to this ... If you are doing chocolate cupcakes, it is not a pretty sight!

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 6:37pm
post #24 of 31

I have tried using a scooper too (pampered chef) and they still tend to drip. How do y'all (ones that use the scoops) keep them neat and not all over the pan or counter? usaribbon.gif

Connie

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 6:42pm
post #25 of 31

I don't know if this will help you, but I use a soup ladle. It's worth a try.

slejdick Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 6:58pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieB

I have tried using a scooper too (pampered chef) and they still tend to drip. How do y'all (ones that use the scoops) keep them neat and not all over the pan or counter? usaribbon.gif

Connie

I tilt my bowl (with the batter) a bit, and just scoop from the top of the batter, using the side of the scoop, and then scrape the scoop against the edge of the bowl when it's full so there's not a lot of batter on the outside of the scoop.

It's hard to explain, but it is much easier to do, LOL!

When I get finished doing 2 dozen cupcakes, most of the outside of the scoop is still clean.

hth!
Laura.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:30pm
post #27 of 31

Thanks Laura, That explains it very well! I appreciate your help! usaribbon.gif

Connie

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 19 Jun 2006 , 7:35pm
post #28 of 31

I pour the batter into a 2-cup or 4-cup measuring cup. It pours nice and neat.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 12:32pm
post #29 of 31

I think scooping is messy and time consuming. I pour my batter into my 4 cup measuring cup and just pour it into the cupcake cups. It's not messy, and I find it faster than scooping. I just "eye" the amount of batter and they come out pretty even. After baking, I put a tray or cookie sheet over the top of them all and press down. They come out pretty even.

slejdick Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 6:13pm
post #30 of 31

I have tried pouring it from measuring cups, but find that it's more messy for me. I have a harder time getting the same amount of batter in each cup, and invariably a drop or two of batter falls off the spout of the measuring cup and goes between the liner and the pan, so that cupcake will stick in the pan when they're baked. icon_surprised.gif

Also, I'd rather wash a little scoop than another big measuring cup, LOL!

I have tried many different ways and think that, for me, the scoop is much better! icon_smile.gif

Laura.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%