Is It Faux Paux To Wear A Chef's Coat

Business By momsandraven Updated 19 May 2007 , 12:46am by berryblondeboys

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #1 of 40

Is it faux paux to wear a chef's coat if you aren't a trained chef? I know that I've seen non-chef cake decorators wear chef jackets, just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this?

39 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:18am
post #2 of 40

that's funny that you should ask this, because my DH bought one for me for Mother's day...

momsandraven Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:47am
post #3 of 40

Hey adven, just noticed your new location. May I join you there?? icon_lol.gif SO, are you wearing your jacket? Have any chefs shown up to frown upon you?

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:50am
post #4 of 40

I think it is but I love them so much I bought a perfect red one to go with my business logo/theme. I have only worn it once, at home, when no one was looking. icon_razz.gif

I think that when I get further in my culinary studies I'll throw that jacket on and hold my head up high. Until then, the jacket will be collecting dust in the closet.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:28am
post #5 of 40

Please don't beat me, but I think they're ugly. Everytime I see someone wearing one (mostly on TV so maybe that's why I think it's a "costume"), plus that cheesy tall smokestack hat, I can't help but shudder .... and then I thank god that I dont' have a culinary degree, that my official title is NOT 'chef' and that no one on god's green earth is ever going to make me wear one of those! If they are considered some kind of status symbol, then may I never achieve any kind of status.

We used to watch Hell's Kitchen, and I thought the only good part about being fired was the person had to turn in their jacket! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

MamaBerry Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:29am
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Please don't beat me, but I think they're ugly. Everytime I see someone wearing one (mostly on TV so maybe that's why I think it's a "costume"), plus that cheesy tall smokestack hat, I can't help but shudder .... and then I thank god that I dont' have a culinary degree, that my official title is NOT 'chef' and that no one on god's green earth is ever going to make me wear one of those! If they are considered some kind of status symbol, then may I never achieve any kind of status.

We used to watch Hell's Kitchen, and I thought the only good part about being fired was the person had to turn in their jacket! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had mine tailored. icon_lol.gif I didn't feel teh need to look like a Red Hot. LOL!

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:38am
post #7 of 40

If you have one - wear it! There is no reason not to - its not a tiara. Its a functional piece of clothing worn by people who create in the kitchen thumbs_up.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:41am
post #8 of 40

I was thinking about getting one. The local GFS has them in diff colors and they will monogram anything you want on them for a great price. I thought about getting one because I could wear it over my clothing while I'm setting up a cake. The next wedding cake I'm doing, I will also be a guest at the reception.

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:42am
post #9 of 40

I was thinking about this also, for when I open a shop I'd like to wear something other than street clothes. Then i thought about scrubs, like nursing uniforms. My mother is a nurse and I think the outfits are so cute, my aunt is a hair stylist and she wears nursing uniforms to work. I do like chef jackets though

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:54am
post #10 of 40

I got one with my business name on it, and I definitely wear it whenever I'm delivering, or at bridal festivals, with no fear. It's comfy and looks professional and clean and crisp. It also makes me feel more professional when I walk in to deliver a cake, and they look at me and say, "Oh, you must have the cake." Instead of, "Bride or groom's family?" LOL

If you have it, wear it by all means. It's a great confidence booster, if nothing else.

LaceyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaceyLou Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:54am
post #11 of 40

i think you should go for it! i go to culinary school and have to wear one all day every day. i love it.

MamaBerry Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:56am
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyLou

i think you should go for it! i go to culinary school and have to wear one all day every day. i love it.

I bet you wear it to bed too! icon_razz.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 17 May 2007 , 5:04am
post #13 of 40

I earned a culinary degree and am not offended by anyone else wearing one. We also wear aprons... it's all about protecing our clothing, and our bodies from stains, heat, etc.

It's not just about looks - but also function.

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 17 May 2007 , 6:18am
post #14 of 40

I rather like them. I think they look smart and they help keep your clothes clean so if you have them then go ahead and wear them! thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 May 2007 , 10:48am
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

Hey adven, just noticed your new location. May I join you there?? icon_lol.gif SO, are you wearing your jacket? Have any chefs shown up to frown upon you?

lol....nope, haven't worn it yet, but I will.

I'm usually at my location about 10 minutes into Letterman, but, lately, I've been visiting during the day with my eyes wide open. You're welcome to join me!!!! The more , the merrier.....and don't forget your jacket... icon_smile.gif

Alligande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alligande Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:18pm
post #16 of 40

You don't need a culinary degree to wear one, in the traditional kitchen hierarchy it is the type of tourque (hat you wear) that gives your rank. On most kitchen lines every one but the dishwasher will be wearing a chefs coat as they really are a piece of safety gear. I should add that I do own them, I never wear them to cook in as a find them uncomfortable and hot.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:41pm
post #17 of 40

A thread like this got pretty ugly a while back. If you do a search you'll probably find it. I do know that to take Colette's class at the Notter School we were required to wear chef's coats because we were working their professional kitchen. I don't think anyone in the class had graduated from pastry school... including Colette... who wore a really cute light blue one!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #18 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellemhv

I was thinking about this also, for when I open a shop I'd like to wear something other than street clothes. Then i thought about scrubs, like nursing uniforms. My mother is a nurse and I think the outfits are so cute, my aunt is a hair stylist and she wears nursing uniforms to work. I do like chef jackets though

That is a great idea!! I'm not a nurse, but worked in a hospital and we had to wear scrubs. They are soooo comfy and cute! The downside was that I was wearing elastic waistband every day, and before I knew it I had gained 15 pounds! LOL! I love the pockets in the front, very handy. I have a pattern for scrubs, but never quite got one finished. I think it would be fun to customize the patterns to something more kitcheny. Gotta go call mom and see if she will whip me up a scrub top (she's currently making me an apron). icon_biggrin.gif

Back to the topic......I was just telling my hubby that I couldn't wear a chef coat because I don't have a degree. I thought about wearing one when I make deliveries, but maybe I'll just stick to my T's with my logo.

Do you think colors have anything to do with it? Like....white coats are very chef-like, so maybe having a purple or pink one isn't so fancy? Is that silly? icon_rolleyes.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #19 of 40

I wear mine, mainly because of the longer heavier sleeves, I am constantly hitting my arms on the oven racks. I not always wear it at a catering, because we do the white shirt, tie and monogramed aprons. There is no rule saying that you must be a certified chef to wear the "COAT".

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:18pm
post #20 of 40

I see absolutely no reason you can't wear it at all. I personally can't STAND long sleeved shirts in the kitchen, but that's just me. I don't like aprons around my neck either because it always ends up bothering/pulling on my neck. IF I remember, I tie a half apron on, but most times I just wear a t-shirt and get all floury! LOL

meliss

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:19pm
post #21 of 40

I have 5 or 6 of them, all short-sleeved because I get too hot in the long-sleeved ones! They all say 'Pastry Chef - Queenie's Cakes' on them. I think it projects a professional image beyond the 'home baker'. I keep one that I wear for set up only, just because I have a tendancy to dye the others with food colourings!

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:20pm
post #22 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

If you have one - wear it! There is no reason not to - its not a tiara. Its a functional piece of clothing worn by people who create in the kitchen thumbs_up.gif

I say wear the coat AND the tiara! icon_biggrin.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #23 of 40

I think if your comfortable in them then wear it. Personally I would find them too hot but I do love love love my aprons. I buy the commercial full aprons from a kitchen supply store and have them in lots of different colors and they have a large pocket in front for my large piece of towel that I just cant seem to live without either lol. So whatever keeps you clean, cool, confident and confortable then go for it. (hmm just realized they all start with C like Cooking) lol

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 17 May 2007 , 1:47pm
post #24 of 40

I see nothing wrong with wearing one if you want to. If it makes you feel good to wear it then by all means do, the tiara too if you want lol. I remember the heated post about this very well icon_rolleyes.gif

momsandraven Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:11pm
post #25 of 40

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I'm mostly thinking about one for doing set-ups and expos to look professional. I'm like most of you- I like to wear an apron & short sleeves in the kitchen. icon_smile.gif

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 17 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

Hey, I love my tiara! icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #27 of 40

This is just my opinion so no flames please, but I think it's stupid to have one unless you are using it to cook in. It is designed to protect not only our clothes but our bodies when working in a kitchen. The long sleaves protect your arms. I have a pretty scar from where boiling sugar popped and hit me on the arm (were I had my sleeve rolled up). The thckness of the sleeve really saved the rest of my arm, I was greatful to have my jacket on that day.
The hats each indicate a different rank in the kitchen too. The stovepipe hat is only for the head chef. It goes back to midevil times actually. The chef would make a meal and then go out to work with the rest of the people in the fields around the castle or estate. If the king (or head of the manor) needed the chef, he was easy to spot because of the stovepipe hat in a crowd of servents.
The good thing about the jackets is if the front gets dirty you can just rebutton on the other side and look clean.
If you want to wear one than I say to wear it. I know a lot of chefs who are insulted by people wearing them, but I'm not one of them. I sometimes wear one when dropping off an order(when I don't get a chance to change), it does look professional, but I prefer not to wear one.

It does usually turn heads when someone sees a chef jacket (mine usually looks splattered though icon_lol.gif ) Whenever I have mine on outside of the kitchen I usually get stopped and asked questions so it is a good conversation starter. If you get one to deliver in make sure to have it embroidered with your business name, I always think that looks cute icon_razz.gif

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #28 of 40

Like Brandi Bake, I graduated from culinary school. I love my jackets in the kitchen because the do protect me. I won't wear the hats even if I am a pastry chef. I fell really silly.
I will be leagle in the next few week and I am planning on getting several in all different colors with my logo on them. I will wear them any chance I get. People notice them. Wear them to delieveries, on Saturday for pick up, for tasting, and show. If you have the WEAR THEM! You will get noticed. Carry business card and be proud of what you do. It is, after all, just a jacket. Chef Ware has some that are taylored. Those look nice.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 17 May 2007 , 11:34pm
post #29 of 40

I like what Mkolmar said - it's meant to protect in the kitchen... I think I would get a nice shirt and have my logo embroidered for deliveries/food fairs, etc... would you deliver in an apron? I see these two things being equal - to wear in the kitchen. Otherwise, it is a bit out of place, but do I care if anyone does that? heck no... I just wouldn't.

melissa

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 18 May 2007 , 12:05am
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

well i can understand you thinking they are a costume i did have to laugh i wear one everyday (i am a culinary student). so i am sure you can see how that it could ruffle a few feathers. as for the hats yes the height tells you there status in the kitchen and it is very much so in honor because it shows what you have accomplished. just my take does not count for much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%