Specks In Buttercream?

Decorating By azterp Updated 17 May 2007 , 4:32am by Janette

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:26am
post #1 of 7

This is the second time that this has happened to me. I color my buttercream, everything looks great, I ice the cake, looks great. Then about an hour later there are these color blobs (for lack of a better term) throughout my icing.

The first time it happened I thought it was because the coloring (Wilton) was kinda clumpy. But the color I used tonight wasn't.

Any ideas what the problem is? I'm really annoyed and I know that it is not because the color wasn't fully intregrated. It looked fine when it was iced, it only happened after it sat a bit.

TIA!

6 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #2 of 7

I really don't have an answer for you, but it happens to me too with some of the Wilton colors. I have never had it happen with the Americolor gels.

I get annoyed too, because Wilton has some colors that Americolor doesn't have that I like to use and it happens almost every time with the blue Wilton ones.

I mix and mix and it seems thoroughly incorporated, no specks at all, and then later they appear on the iced cake.

Sorry I don't have an answer but wanted to say that I feel your pain. Maybe someone will come along who can help us figure it out.

Good luck.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:49am
post #3 of 7

Were your colors brand new or a bit older?????? Sometimes the older wilton colors do that to me.

Ladybug21587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug21587 Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:54am
post #4 of 7

I don't know if it works but a cake instructor once told me this.
They said to color your icing the night before you want to use it.
Then the next day stir it again (stir it really good) then ice your cake.
He said that it is something about it setting over night that helps.

Like I said I have not tried it yet but it is worth a try. icon_wink.gif

Ladybug

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

Ladybug - That would be a great suggestion if I could plan that far in advance LOL! Some of my colors are a bit older (but within the last 6 months so is that old?) I may have to try Americolor. What a pain!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:26am
post #6 of 7

Sometimes that happens when the salt in your icing isn't dissolved before you ice. To prevent (if that's the problem) either dissolve the salt in the milk/water before you mix it in, or use popcorn salt, which dissolves much faster.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7

I often thought it may be that the color is old.

I put the color in a little bit of water and smash the lumps with my finger. Then add the color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%