Decorating By claz Updated 17 May 2007 , 4:40pm by Sunspotalli

claz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claz Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 11

This is the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe:

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine*
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk**
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

YIELD: 3 cups

*Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1/2 teaspoon Wilton No-Color Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.

Now see where it says substitute all vegetable shortening? Does that mean take out the 1/2 a cup of butter and use a 1/2 cup of shortening along with the butter flavor?
I know, I feel so stupid asking this, but I don't want to mess up the recipe.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 11

Yes it does

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:32am
post #3 of 11

thats not stupid at all. I've been making this recipe a lot lately and I have substituted water for milk too. Just keep in mind that butter or margarine = whatever shortening you use in this case.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:44am
post #4 of 11

is not stupid, but by changing the butter you will get a BC that doesnt taste that good

Sunny77 Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:51am
post #5 of 11

Claz, just so you know, I agree with paolacaracas. I wouldn't ever remove the butter from my buttercream recipe. I know a lot of people use margarine and love it but my personal preference is to use real butter.

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 17 May 2007 , 2:56am
post #6 of 11

The first ever Wilton class I ever took (about 32 years ago icon_lol.gif ) we were taught to use the above recipe using just all vegetable shortening, water, flavoring and powdered sugar. When I make butter cream, I only use butter. Since discoverig this site I have learned so much thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I am so addicted to this site. There are so many things I want to try.

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:03am
post #7 of 11

I took the 3 Wilton courses about 6 years ago and my instructor gave me the all shortening recipe. It's all I've ever used. Hubby loves it. Is the 1/2 butter-1/2 shortening recipe better? Does it smooth better or is it easier to work with? Just wondering. icon_smile.gif

claz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claz Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 11

Well, the last time I made a buttercream recipe with butter it got warm in my house and the red food paste color melted into the butter...and created a red melted streak. I was looking to avoid that again.

I also had problems making the roses with the buttercream recipe I used. Same problem...the butter was too soft.

I was hoping for a stiff icing to make better roses.

Thanks everyone!

Sunny77 Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 11

Adding meringue powder fixed that up for me. I live in a very humid area.

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 11

I am currently in Wilton course 3. My last cake for class I substituted all butter instead of using 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. The BC tasted good but the BC melted a bit and the sides of my square cake pooled somewhat at the bottom. This happened in my car on the way to Michaels for the class, was warm but not hot out (I'm in Minnesota). I will be going back to 1/2 shortening.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by claz

This is the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe:

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine*
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk**
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

YIELD: 3 cups

*Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1/2 teaspoon Wilton No-Color Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.

Now see where it says substitute all vegetable shortening? Does that mean take out the 1/2 a cup of butter and use a 1/2 cup of shortening along with the butter flavor?
I know, I feel so stupid asking this, but I don't want to mess up the recipe.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

I'm taking course II now and I've not seen this recipe I use 1 cup shortning and the butter flavor but our instrctor told us to add salt to cut out the crisco tase so that's what i do and everyone seems to love it, but I might have to try this one too.

And don't worry about your questions I've seen plenty of questions on here that people thought were stupid but really helped me out so keep asking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%