I Need Alot Of Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By kellieskakes Updated 16 Jun 2006 , 1:32pm by candyladyhelen

kellieskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellieskakes Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

Ok I have a order for my first wedding cake for July 1st. SHe wants a 3 teir square cake i was thinking of 14, 10 and a 6 in double layer. It will be iced in buttercream with 2 fondant bows and fondant round circles scattered all over the cake. And just a simple bead border on the bottom of each teir, adn they will be stacked on top of each other. OK here are my questions........

1. do i use 2 or 3 in pans
2. it needs to feed a 150 people so how much do i charge for this?
3. are these the sizes that i need to use to feed a 150 people?
4. there will be no filling just buttercream.

Sorry for all of the questions........
Thanks in advance

7 replies
slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:06am
post #2 of 8

I figure 2" pans double layers those pans would serve around 112 people and this is party sized pieces.. Course it always depends how large the servings are cut..and most people cut larger sizes than what is recommended for a wedding..

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:06am
post #3 of 8

Just from our experience....3 inch double layer are hard to transport if you dont have an SUV or minivan....dont forget you dont normally count the top layer its usually for the bride and groom...as far as how many does it serve im not sure i cant find my grid with the servings...good luck...MC

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:13am
post #4 of 8

Here's the wilton chart for 2 in deep pans and wedding cake servings. You can also see a chart for 3 in and for party servings. Just go to wilton.com and cakes then cake preperation. scroll down and you should see it highlighted.
http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_2inch.cfm

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:20am
post #5 of 8

Hi Kelly!

If you made a 16 and a 12 inch in the 2 inch deep pan and made 2 layers each and an 8 inch in the 3 inch deep pan that would serve 156. So you would have a 16 inch 4 inches tall, a 12 inch 4 inches tall and an 8 inch 3 inches tall or you could just make the 8 inch 2 layers as well. In a book I have, it has the 16 and 12 stacked on top of each other and then pillars separating the 3 inch deep 8 inch round cake. Hope this make sense. If you decide to make your cake 14, 10, 6 you could make an 11x15 sheet cake to go with it which would give you 151 servings between the tiered cake and the sheet cake.

Hope this helps you out! And congrats on your first wedding cake order!

~luraleigh~

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:20am
post #6 of 8

For an "average" wedding cake (without lots of fancy stuff) I start at $2.25 per serving. I go up from there depending on fillings, fancy borders/swags, or lots of fondant work. I also charge a delivery/set up fee starting at $25-30 depending on where the location is. HTH
elly

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:44am
post #7 of 8

I think you should think about it in a different order. They tell you how many servings they need. You tell them your cake sizes and servings per tier and how much per serving.

meaning, if they need 127 servings, and you can make tiers that serve 125 or 140, they decide if they want the smaller one or the larger one (with a higher cost). if they want larger pieces cut than what your serving size is, they also need to order a larger cake - how big they cut their pieces is not your problem as long as you explain how you arrive at the number of servings you are delivering.

That's why quoting a per serving price makes more sense, at least to me.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

Good advice on the pan sizes they gave above. You need to call around to see what others are charging per person for wedding cakes. I charge $3.25 to start. I can send you my contract with all the questions to ask customers if you want. Just send me an email at: [email protected]. Helen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%