Black Icing Question

Decorating By gunnersgirl5578 Updated 16 May 2007 , 3:24pm by gunnersgirl5578

gunnersgirl5578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gunnersgirl5578 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 11

Help! I know this has been asked before...but I need to make black buttercream. Is there an easy way? I keep getting dark gray, or I put so much black color in the icing that it tastes bitter. How do I get black without it being bitter?? icon_confused.gif

10 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 11

Gotta use Americolor Super Black - you don't have to use a ton and it actually gets black black. (Americolor Super Red is great too - might as well get some of that too!)

Do you know if anyone around you carries it? Or do you have time to order online? It really is the best.

If you have to make do with what you have, I know that sometimes as colors sit, they can darken but maybe someone else has some other help.

carries_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carries_creations Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 11

When I need black icing I start with chocolate frosting and then add the americolor super black. The chocolate syrup frosting here is great!

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 11

I agree that Americolor Super Black is the way to go, but if you cannot get any, starting with chocolate buttercream is an easier way to get black without getting that nasty taste.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 11

You could start out using chocolate frosting then add the black.... it seems to take better.....

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 11

Chocolate frosting. Even with Wilton color I'm able to get a nice glossy black

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 11

I wouldn't use chocolate buttercream unless there is chocolate in the cake also. Some people are allergic to chocolate, and would not expect to get chocolate if they ordered a white cake, lemon filling and white buttercream.

gunnersgirl5578 Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everybody! I'm not sure is anyone local carries Americolor, so I will be doing the choc buttercream! I need it by the weekend. Again, thanks so much!! thumbs_up.gif

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 11

I start by coloring it using the americolor brown then use super black. good luck!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 11

Technically you don't have to start with choc. icing. I just use my bc and add a little cocoa powder then the black color. Works great and you can barely taste the cocoa.

gunnersgirl5578 Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 11

mdutcher...thanks! I think I will try that! Especially since I already have some bc. Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%