Has Anyone Used The "witches Hat" Nail For Roses?

Decorating By 4Gifts4Lisa Updated 17 Jun 2006 , 4:59pm by jackie64

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 16

I think it is flower nail 10?

15 replies
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:09am
post #2 of 16

*bump*

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:15am
post #3 of 16

Witches hat? Do you mean the actual hat on a witches head? I' confused,help a sister out.-rhondie

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:56am
post #4 of 16

Sorry...I edited my original post...I meant has anyone ever used a "witches hat" NAIL to make roses? Someone told me about them, and I did look it up (I think on Sugarcraft)...it is a flower nail that looks like a witches hat (thus the name), so you don't have to do the base part of the rose. You just do the petals. I was wondering how well it worked.

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 3:17am
post #5 of 16

If that works, it sounds neat.

I always have to use two bags of icing - one for the centers and one for the petals. My petal icing is to soft for the middle and my middle icing is too hard for me to pipe petals. Sometimes I do the candy kiss thing and that works.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 16

Well, I've seen it done at a DOS I went to. I've tried it without much success, but then again, I've NEVER been able to make a rose!!!! Buttercream roses hate me! I thought I might have better luck with the witches hat, as my center seems to slide around the nail when I try the regular way. If I ever want roses for my cake I make them out of fondant. At the DOS she lifted it off the nail with scissors. Slip the open scissors under the rose and lift off, close them as you set it down.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 16

I have never seen that nail before. Thanks for the info. I am going to have to try it!

shelain22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelain22 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 16

whats the hearshey kiss thing? icon_confused.gif

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 16

I am curious about this too. My friend bought me one, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Reecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reecie Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 16

I use it every time I make roses and I love it! It works great. You only need one bag because you dont have to make the center mound. The tricky part in the beginning was getting it off the nail. Now I use a fork to lift them off. Will try to upload a pic in a minute.

Reecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reecie Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 16

Here is a pic. You just Wrap your center petal directly on the cone of the hat and build your petals from there.

HTH
LL

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelain22

whats the hearshey kiss thing? icon_confused.gif

This is where you use a Hershey Kiss as the base of your rose, instead of a buttercream base. I've never tried it, but I've seen many people who use it all of the time, and their roses are beautiful!

I can't wait to try this "Witch Hat" nail. I wonder where I can pick one up?

Sherry

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 16

You guys are awesome! Like my son would say. I posted a comment the other day about having a hard time doing these buttercream roses. I have been spending time every day trying to practive doing them. And now reading the post this "witchhat nail" comment is found. I'm going to order it and see how it works, anything to conquer these buttercream roses!

Thank you all!

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 2:30pm
post #14 of 16

[quote="Sherry0565]
I can't wait to try this "Witch Hat" nail. I wonder where I can pick one up?

Sherry[/quote]

I *think* I saw one on Sugarcraft.com. Can't remember...

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 2:36am
post #15 of 16

That nail makes me nervous to think about it. Does the rose not collapse when you take it off the nail? To me, it seems like the center makes a good support after you've made the rose.

The hershey kiss thing I've heard of, but I haven't tried it. Too busy eating the kisses! LOL

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 16

Im not really good at buttercream roses yet, but I have used Hersheys kisses and mine look better using them .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%