0-Trans Fat Shortening

Decorating By Shanna Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm by cookielicious

Shanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanna Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 11

After reading several posts about the 0 trans-fat shortening not crusting, I began to panic since I'm making a couple of batches of BC icing this weekend. Rather than buying the Crisco brand (with 0 trans-fat), I bought the Wal-Mart brand which does have 2.5 g of trans-fat. I've always used Crisco, so I'm not sure how this brand will work out. Has anyone used it, and if so, how did it work? I just didn't want to make several batches using the new Crisoc and risk it not working out!

10 replies
Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #2 of 11

I use it all the time..no problems as of yet...knock on wood

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:20am
post #3 of 11

I too was afraid to use the new stuff. I have been using the Wal-Mart stuff with great sucess! No one has complained and I'll even eat it...

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:22am
post #4 of 11

I used the wal-mart brand this weekend and liked it better than the new "and improved" crisco. Way easier to get smooth in my opinion! Good luck!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #5 of 11

I've gone thru several 3# cans of the no trans fat Crisco and I see no difference.

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 17 May 2007 , 3:53am
post #6 of 11

Should we use the 0 trans fat but use more Meringue Powder?

Shanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanna Posted 17 May 2007 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all for your replies! I think I'll try out the Wal-Mart brand this weekend. icon_smile.gif

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 11

I guess I'm confused about the "new" crisco... my "old" crisco says it has no trans fat either.... in the nutrition facts on the back. Everything seems to be the same... Just the label on the front has changed.... Is there something I am missing here?????

brittanydear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittanydear Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 8:09am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgirl

I guess I'm confused about the "new" crisco... my "old" crisco says it has no trans fat either.... in the nutrition facts on the back. Everything seems to be the same... Just the label on the front has changed.... Is there something I am missing here?????

That's interesting. I just have old crisco. Are the ingredients and calories the same too?

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 8:39am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgirl

Crisco changed the formula before changing the label. Many cans that appear to be the "old" Crisco is actually the new 0 trans fat formula. If you find the blue cans without the green banner, you have to check the nutrition facts for the trans fats.

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 11

ok.... that makes sense now! I thought I was crazy hahahaha
Maybe I still am, because I made a batch of Cali4Dawn's icing with the new labeled crisco and it was a disaster! But I used my older one (without trans fat also) and it came out normal! Who knows... I'm going to have to switch brands I suppose... Because eventually I'll only be able to find the newer stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%