Ugh, More Pricing Problems

Business By SweetThistleCakes Updated 15 Jun 2006 , 5:13pm by MikeRowesHunny

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 7

How much would you charge for a 4inch cake? They will be toreted with one layer of BC and then frosted with BC as well. A simple boarder of shells and dots with be the decoration. Is $5 unreasonable? Too cheap, or too much? Should I up it to $7?
TIA

6 replies
KakesandKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesandKids Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 7

How much does it cost you to make that size cake? I charge $8-10 for simple design

SweetThistleCakes Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 7

It's about $3 and change per cake.. If I'm going to price it according to my 1/3 rule, I should be charging $9, but I just relocated here and I want to get some biz going. it's making my head spin! icon_surprised.gif

KakesandKids Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 7

Well, even though your new I think you still need to charge what you would normally charge. If you charge one person $5 and they tell ppl that everyone will expect it ultra cheap. I say charge $9 but that's just my opinion.

SweetThistleCakes Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 7

thanks, I need to get a set of stones and stop giving away my stuff...lol

KakesandKids Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 7

Its hard not to under price yourself, but if I remember right you are renting kitchen time to do this the legal way, and that in itself is an additional expense as well as all your permits like the food manager's license and retail food permit. So don't under cut yourself you deserve to get paid for your work!! icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 7

I charge way more per serving for my small sized cakes (4 & 6in), because they take just as long to do as bigger cakes, often requiring far more fiddly work done on them. I charge E15 buttercream or E20 fondant for a 4in and I haven't had a complaint yet, especially when I've pointed out the time v ingredient factor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%