Major Ganache Dilemma

Decorating By IHATEFONDANT Updated 16 May 2007 , 5:09pm by indydebi

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:42am
post #1 of 5

Have a wedding cake for this weekend...ganache covered with BC accents and piping...Bride NEGLECTED to inform me her reception has been moved outside, under a tent. I informed her that ganache doesn't do well in any kind of heat..her answer was that her venue would refrigerate the cake until about a half hour before serving. Fine.

I am extremely concerned about condensation on the ganache. The last thing I need is for it to sweat and make the BC run or get wet spots on the ganache itself.

Anyone had ANY experience with ganache...with BC piping and sweating if the cake is refrigerated?

I am livid and ready to tear my hair out.

4 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 5

okay NOT an expert on this but I just was reading on the baking911 site that ganache actually holds up better in heat than than buttercream. I supposed I dont know how hot it will be where you are though. Do you think that it could just be kept indoors until the right before the reception as opposed to in the fridge? Then there wouldnt be quite the amount of temperature change as if it came right from the refrigerator. Also I would write up a contract with her that you are not responsible for a melting cake if she decides to have it outdoors on a scorching day.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2007 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 5

I think merissa has a good idea. On other threads regarding freezing flowers, I've pointed out this is not the best idea because anything frozen, when removed from the freezer, will melt. But if the roses air dry, they hold up longer.

Ganache will set-up after a time at room temp. Perhaps the same logic will apply .... if you refrigerate it then remove it to outdoor heat, the contrast in temp will be too great, but if allowed to "set" at room temp, maybe it would hold up better ....... ? icon_confused.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 5

I'm watching the weather reports..supposed to be in the 70's..but I know it will be hotter under that tent...my fear is that they will store the cake in the walk in and then set it out..bingo..condensation...dripping BC.... icon_cry.gif

I would love to wring her neck...the fillings are all BC..and probably will be fine..bottom layer has cookies and cream...not good.

icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 5

If it's in the 70's and they don't put the sides up, a nice breeze will flow thru the tent. If they put the sides up, it will turn into a sauna unless they have also rented the big warehouse-sized fans to rotate the air inside there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%