1 Egg White = ?? Ounces??

Baking By MariaLovesCakes Updated 6 Feb 2018 , 5:35am by DnDPastry

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 20

Would you say that 1 large egg white (from a large egg) = 1 ounce?

I am trying to figure out a recipe and need to know how many ounces is one egg white.

Thanks.

19 replies
pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 20

I found on a site that 1 egg white = 6 gm. , but that doesn't seem like enough to me. I'd say that 1 oz. is more accurate.

Here's the site: http://waltonfeed.com/self/labels/eggwhite.html

sorry I couldn't help more...hth

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 20

Maybe you shoudl measure it in a measuring cup? Does yours have ounces next to the 1/2 cup 1/4 cup, ect? Just put the egg white in there and see what it comes up to. icon_smile.gif Or if you have a scale thats even better.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 20

Yes, thank you for your answers. I was going to measure the egg white just to make sure it equals to 1 ounce.

I know it depends on the egg too. Not all large eggs are large icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I was trying to get heads up before tyring the recipe.

I have this recipe that calls for 12 eggs divided. Then you remove 4 of the egg whites for the icing, which I don't want to do.

The recipe then adds 4 oz of milk, which I think is replacing the 4 egg whites taken for the icing. So I was thinking of leaving all the egg whites and then omitting the 4 oz of milk.

What do you all think?

I hate to mess it up because I don't want to waste 12 eggs so I wanted to be sure.... icon_cry.gif

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 20

One large egg weighs 50 grams, which is about 2 ounces.

By volume, one large egg is 1/4 cup, which is also 2 ounces.

IIRC, the amount of yolk and the amount of white is about half and half, so it should be one ounce for each.

As far as the recipe goes, I wouldn't substitute the extra egg whites for the milk, because that might be "too much" egg white and you may not get the same results. Just take the extra whites and add them to your next omelet or something. icon_wink.gif

hth!
Laura.

pinkopossum Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 20

if you find out Maria, would you please post your findings. this would be really helpful in the future for me. I don't know how many times I've tryed to measure these. I should get some better measuring cups. LOL thanks

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 20

Here's a link with the measurement of egg white and egg yolk (and lots of other things, too).

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:rltTTAc87tgJ:www.kswheat.com/upload/Baking%20measurements%20and%20substitutions.pdf%20egg%20white%20measurement%20&hl=en

scroll down to the bottom of page 2, eggs are the last item in the first column.

hth!
Laura.

pinkopossum Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks Laura!! icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkopossum

if you find out Maria, would you please post your findings. this would be really helpful in the future for me. I don't know how many times I've tryed to measure these. I should get some better measuring cups. LOL thanks

Okay, I measured 1 large egg and it weight about 1 ounce. A bit more... More it was closer to 1 ounce.

All eggs are not equal so we should always measure them just in case.

But I see that's what this lady was doing. She was taking the 4 egg whites = 4 ounces and then adding 4 oz of liquid to compensate.

I will try it.

pinkopossum Posted 16 Jun 2006 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 20

thank you soooo much Maria! I really appreciate this. hopefully this will cut down on some time. thanks again!! Image

ColsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColsCakes Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 20

I have egg whites left over from another recipe and I have a new recipe that calls for 3 egg whites, so the general consensus is that I can use about 3 oz and it'll be the same? 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 20

I often use the pasteurized whites in the carton.  On the side it says 1 large white is equal to 3 tbsp and 3/4 c is equal to 4 large whites.  I just separated 4 large eggs and I got a little over 2/3 cup (a little less than 3/4).  4 extra large would probably be a full 3/4 of a cup.  Either way, close enough!

2/3 of a cup is 10.6 tablespoons.  1/2 cup is 8 table spoons.   If one white is about 3 tablespoons,  then you need 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp.  to equal 9 tbsp  

ColsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColsCakes Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 12:25am
post #13 of 20

Thanks! I often think recipes should call for a certain amount of eggs or whites, and you should say beat the eggs together and then measure the volume.  Especially where a lot of eggs are concerned.  My angel food cake recipe calls for a dozen egg whites, I should start measuring just in the interest of being curious how much that comes out to and what result it has on my cakes.

leonilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leonilyn Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 9:59pm
post #14 of 20

I will be trying to make SMBC for the first time using the 1 2 3 recipe of dyannbakes.. thanks to this thread.. :)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:47am
post #15 of 20

This thread has caused me to pay a little more attention to the volume and weight of the egg whites I use. It also helps with conversions if different sized eggs are used.  For my SMBC, I use 10 large egg whites which is consistently 1.5 cups.  The weight is 12 fluid ounces,  12.25 ounces.  HTH!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by yortma 

I often use the pasteurized whites in the carton.  On the side it says 1 large white is equal to 3 tbsp and 3/4 c is equal to 4 large whites.  I just separated 4 large eggs and I got a little over 2/3 cup (a little less than 3/4).  4 extra large would probably be a full 3/4 of a cup.  Either way, close enough!

2/3 of a cup is 10.6 tablespoons.  1/2 cup is 8 table spoons.   If one white is about 3 tablespoons,  then you need 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp.  to equal 9 tbsp  

Bought the carton today to try out a Kahlua SMBC. The carton didn't have a measurement for the whites. Glad I found this old post on CC.  Posting here so I can refer back to it later.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 12 Aug 2013 , 12:06am
post #17 of 20

A large egg has 2 oz. of egg in it. 1.25 oz. is the white and .75 is the yolk.

DnDPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnDPastry Posted 5 Feb 2018 , 1:57am
post #18 of 20

A large egg is typically 1.8 oz. A single large egg white is typically 30 grams.  (A large yolk is typically 20 grams) An ounce is equal to 28 grams. When you have to convert whole eggs to ounces, it's safe to consider 1 egg white is equal to 1 ounce. Do yourself a big favor; buy a digital kitchen scale, convert all of your recipes to lb/ounces (better yet, grams) and weigh all of your ingredients whenever you bake. It will make everything soooooo much easier. 

Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 4:50am
post #19 of 20

You realize you responded to a thread that hasn't been active for nearly FIVE YEARS, right...?

DnDPastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DnDPastry Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 5:35am
post #20 of 20

Yes, just like you just did :) Except, I offered some helpful information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%