Class With Toba Day 2

Decorating By pasquerto Updated 23 May 2007 , 6:19am by jenz0991

pasquerto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasquerto Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 37

So today we learned different garlands with string piping on top, rose buds and half roses. She used a toothpick to pull down the edges of the half rose to give it a better appearance. The type of butter cream we made was decorators buttercream that had MANY variations that you could do. It was made with 0 Trans fat crisco and IMO it turned out just fine....it got soft eventually but thats due to us reusing it. She def likes things her way and talks a lot of trash about certain people...almost in an uncomfortable way.... did anyone else notice this????

We also talked about color combinations and how to get certain colors. We used all americolor gel which she recommends...

If you ladies want any recipes or more details I'll do it for sure
A

36 replies
stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 37

A recipe with 0 trans fat that works??? Oh please oh please!!

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 37

thanks so much for keeping us posted on your week!! i am jealous!!!

any and all recipes would be FABULOUS!!!! she knows her stuff!

ENJOY!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 37

Yes, please post the recipe.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:02am
post #5 of 37

I have noticed some (not all) female instructors that make the $$$$ trash someone else's way of doing the samething. I can get uncomfortable if they are really upset with one or two others. Just go and learn what you can and make your own mind about the others she mentioned. I still want to learn from her and a several others. I have bought all of her books. So with that said. Yes post or pm me with her recipes that she gives out. Please.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 37

Have fun! I wish I was there!

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 37

Me recipies too please!! And can you tell us want brand of Fondant she uses? When you get to that section of your class! Thanks so much for all of the great info! Still Jealous!! icon_biggrin.gif

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 37

Toba, Toba, Toba - oh sorry got carried away. If you can share any of her amazing recipes that would be grand!!!! Woohoo, thanks a bunch. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Shim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shim Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 37

Have fun and please share your recipes.
I sooooo wish I was there!!!

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 37

I would love the recipes too! Especially the 0 trans fat Crisco one! Thanks in advance!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:21pm
post #11 of 37

did you post about your first class? if so i missed it. icon_sad.gif
I took 2 cookie classes with her, and no trashing. maybe the class was just much shorter (time) so no time to chit chat. I am dying to take the classes you are taking now. I work near the school. '
And yes i too wanna know about the recipe. is it in her book? if so, which?
I recently bought a HUGE tub of 0 trans fat crisco. i was going to return it after hearing bad things about it here, but i couldn't find my receipt. So i decided to use it. Let's see how it works for me tonight in wilton's course 3 class.

thanks! have fun! learn tons!

Kat

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 37

pasquerto, are you going to have a new thread for every day of her class, or one big thread for the entire class?

pasquerto Posted 16 May 2007 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 37

I'll post the rest of the days in this one...I do have a sep day 1 thread floating on here somewhere.

Day 3: We did roses, ruffles, swags and writing today with a recipe called "Buttercream for roses" It was much stiffer but I thought it was odd to have as a rose buttercream because it left the edges soooooooo ragged i mean terribly ragged. I didn't like the stuff in its working ability but I guess she saw fit.

Roses: 16 petals

bases: hersheys kiss (charges more), marzipan, chocolate plastic, fondant

we used just the coupler to pipe the base. For the first petal we held it waist high and started at 3;00 with a 45 deg angleabout 1/2in down from ththe tip of the cone raise the tip 1/2 in as you turn the nail counterclockwise pull down to finish so that the tails cross almost like "support our troops" ribbon.

Pipe the first three petals touching end to end (not overlapping) and lift while squeezing so the first three are the same height as the center. All other petals are piped starting at 3:00 in the center of the petal of the last row so:
__ __ __
__ __

today was pretty simple. we did some writing with the above buttercream mixed with piping gel. It was a great consistency for writing. she showed us how to have simple writing but then jazz it up around it with rosettes, vines, roses and whatnot.

Here are the recipes:
Swiss meringue:
1 1/2c egg whites (10 eggs whites or so)
3 c granulated sugar
3 lbs unsalted butter (she said NEVER use salted)
2 T flavoring (use any combo if using alcohol its 3 oz)

Whish whites and suger together over simmering water until 140 degrees and looks milky and steamy

pour whites into a room temp bowl and whig until double. when you stop it should not move in the bowl. Attach paddle and add in half the butter (cut up) and pulsate until butter is coated with meringue. add rest of butter and pulsate some more. Slowly rais the speed from low to med-high every ten seconds. Beat until light and fluffy. stop add the flavor and beat on low for 45 seconds. The turn it up for one more minute.

During hot weather use 2lb 10oz butter and 6 oz high ratio shortening.

Decorators buttercream: -This crusts (she NEVER uses Viva)
yield 2 1/2qts
1lb unsalted butter at room temp
8oz vegetable or hi ratio shortenings
5 fl oz of liquid (lemon, vanilla, almond, liquor, heavy cream, mild, water, juice-mix and match just as long as its 5oz. The real recipe says 1 1/2tsp flavor and 4 1/2 fl oz milk or water. She said didn't matter)
3T meringue powder
1 tsp salt

cream shortening and butter for 3 min on med-high. Stop scrape and add flavor and salt, mix until combined. Gradually add sugar. add meringue powder (will look dry)
Add liquid of choice and beat until light. Keep bowl cover while working. Can freeze 3 months

pasquerto Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 37

I'll post the rest of the days in this one...I do have a sep day 1 thread floating on here somewhere.

Day 3: We did roses, ruffles, swags and writing today with a recipe called "Buttercream for roses" It was much stiffer but I thought it was odd to have as a rose buttercream because it left the edges soooooooo ragged i mean terribly ragged. I didn't like the stuff in its working ability but I guess she saw fit.

we used just the coupler to pipe the base. For the first petal we held it waist high and started at 3;00 with a 45 deg angleabout 1/2in down from ththe tip of the cone raise the tip 1/2 in as you turn the nail counterclockwise pull down to finish so that the tails cross almost like "support our troops" ribbon.

Pipe the first three petals touching end to end (not overlapping) and lift while squeezing so the first three are the same height as the center. All other petals are piped starting at 3:00 in the center of the petal of the last row so:
__ __ __
__ __

today was pretty simple. we did some writing with the above buttercream mixed with piping gel. It was a great consistency for writing. she showed us how to have simple writing but then jazz it up around it with rosettes, vines, roses and whatnot.

Here are the recipes:
Swiss meringue:
3 c granulated sugar

Whish whites and suger together over simmering water until 140 degrees and looks milky and steamy

pour whites into a room temp bowl and whig until double. when you stop it should not move in the bowl. Attach paddle and add in half the butter (cut up) and pulsate until butter is coated with meringue. add rest of butter and pulsate some more. Slowly rais the speed from low to med-high every ten seconds. Beat until light and fluffy. stop add the flavor and beat on low for 45 seconds. The turn it up for one more minute.

yield 2 1/2qts
5 fl oz of liquid (lemon, vanilla, almond, liquor, heavy cream, mild, water, juice-mix and match just as long as its 5oz. The real recipe says 1 1/2tsp flavor and 4 1/2 fl oz milk or water. She said didn't matter)
3T meringue powder
1 tsp salt

cream shortening and butter for 3 min on med-high. Stop scrape and add flavor and salt, mix until combined. Gradually add sugar. add meringue powder (will look dry)
Add liquid of choice and beat until light. Keep bowl cover while working. Can freeze 3 months

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 37

Thanks for sharing. I'll be watching for more info! thumbs_up.gif

pasquerto Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 37

__ __ __
__ __

Here are the recipes:
Swiss meringue:
3 c granulated sugar

yield 2 1/2qts
3T meringue powder
1 tsp salt
3lbs confec sugar

manderfrog Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:30pm
post #17 of 37

I may have overlooked it, but on the decorator's buttercream how much sugar do you add? icon_redface.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:36pm
post #18 of 37

And could you elaborate on the color discussion y'all had please? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:36pm
post #19 of 37

Thanks for sharing. I am watching with great interest. If I had my choice of instructors, I actually don't think I would choose Toba. There are a lot of others that I prefer. Only my opinion of course.

pasquerto Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderfrog

I may have overlooked it, but on the decorator's buttercream how much sugar do you add? icon_redface.gif

i edited it thanks!
its 3lbs 10x sugar

manderfrog Posted 16 May 2007 , 11:45pm
post #21 of 37

Thanks!

pasquerto Posted 17 May 2007 , 8:16pm
post #22 of 37

So today we did only marzipan fruit and made chocolate plastic for tomorrow. The marzipaned fruit were amazing and so fun/ easy. I asked her which commercial fondant she liked and she said pettinice. She also mentioned using non-toxic chalk for dusts as I have seen here on cc. Talk about a money saver! We tried a sliver of the "high-yield yellow cake" from her book and WOW! It had no frosting at all and it was amazing! Like a cloud, perfect crumb and great flavor. I was wowed for sure!

If you want directions to any fruits pm me. I'll post pics soon!
Pumpkin, granny smith, peach, banana, raspberries, strawberry, lemon, pear

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 May 2007 , 12:26pm
post #23 of 37

Anything since last Thursday?

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 May 2007 , 11:27pm
post #24 of 37

Soooo, what's been happening??? Details, we want details!! icon_biggrin.gif

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #25 of 37

Take the class icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2007 , 12:35am
post #26 of 37

I've taken classes from her. That's why I like chatting with others on it. icon_biggrin.gif

babycakes7651 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes7651 Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:01am
post #27 of 37

You should be so lucky to live close enough to take a class with her!

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:02am
post #28 of 37

She travels and that's how I took the class. I'd love to live in NYC! icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe I read it wrong, but I thought pasquerto was going to give us a play by play on her experiences in this class. I was kind of hoping she would follow through. Perhaps I just misread it. (it happens!) icon_rolleyes.gif

babycakes7651 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes7651 Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:07am
post #29 of 37

I thought the same thing. I absolutely love Toba. Are her classes pricy?

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #30 of 37

It depends on what you take and when and where you take them. The ones in NYC are hundreds of dollars (or can be) and the ones I took were two figures, but they were more mini classes. Personally I liked her books better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%