How Much To Charge For 8In Double Layer German Chocolate...

Business By jen1977 Updated 15 Jun 2006 , 1:03pm by jmt1714

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 8

My hair dresser asked me to bring her a German Chocolate cake when I come in to get my hair cut tonight and said she will pay for it, but she was busy so we didn't talk about price. I use a mix with a container of coconut pecan icing added to it, coconut pecan frosting on top and as filling, chocolate buttercream on the sides. Nothing fancy for decorations, just simple top and bottom border. DH says I should do it for free since I could get lots of business from this cake from her family and from the other girls that work there. They all used the same bakery, and have had huge problems with them and are looking for someone else to do all their cakes. I think I should charge $25 since she asked for the cake and offered to pay for it. Should I do it for free or charge? If I charge, how much? Thanks! This cake goes tonight!

7 replies
ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 8

Jen: I was actually thinking $25 too when I read this. I have another option for you.... can you do a trade? When she tries to pay you, maybe see if you can put it towards your next haircut, color, etc. That way, you don't do it totally for free & you still get the exposure for more business.

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 8

Maybe you could charge around $15 and just let her know that your normal price is $25, but that since she is such a fabulous hairdresser you thought you'd give her, and only her, a "special introductory price" (I feel like an infomercial!) Then if the other ladies ask about it you could quote them your regular price.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

Jen: I was actually thinking $25 too when I read this. I have another option for you.... can you do a trade? When she tries to pay you, maybe see if you can put it towards your next haircut, color, etc. That way, you don't do it totally for free & you still get the exposure for more business.

this is kinda what I was thinking, too. either $25 up front or a trade.

jen1977 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 8

I was thinking about a trade, but I'm not sure if she is allowed to do that since she isn't the shop owner, and they have to pay taxes on what the shop brings in. These decisions are so hard!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

I was thinking about a trade, but I'm not sure if she is allowed to do that since she isn't the shop owner, and they have to pay taxes on what the shop brings in. These decisions are so hard!

Hmm...I didn't think about her not being allowed to...I trade with mine, but she rents a space from the shop & doesn't directly work for them so I guess it would be different...she still may be able to do it though.

If not, I would go ahead like planned & charge her the $25. I'm sure she doesn't expect it for free & unless she usually gives you discounts or gave you a discount on your first visit, I wouldn't worry about that either.

jen1977 Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 8

We just traded.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 1:03pm
post #8 of 8

how much does it actually cost you to make? that plus a rate for your labor gets you to your selling price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%