Wedding Sheet Cakes!

Decorating By heiser73 Updated 29 May 2007 , 8:30pm by MessiET

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:48am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone!

So I'm making two full sheet cakes for a wedding this saturday. All they expect is just cake with icing and a border...but I wanted to score it and put a small royal icing flower on top of each piece. Noboby around here does anything like that so I thought it would impress themicon_smile.gif

But I'm just not sure how to score them. The only boxes I could find around here fit two 11x 15s, which would be 22x15. But i'm just not sure how to measure it so it works out! I hope I'm not sounding dumb..but for some reason when I try to add it up its not working. I know most people use 2x2 size slices but I was hoping I could make them a little bigger...but I'm not even sure how to do it with the 2x2. I hope this isn't too confusing! Any help at all would be great!!

Thanks so much!-Alison

12 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 1:57am
post #2 of 13

I just make marks around the edge. I estimate the middle and keep halfing it untill I get the right amount. You could use a strip of paper and fold it into sections to figure it out. Use the paper to mark the sections out. I use a yardstick to make the indentions on the cake.

heiser73 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 2:11am
post #3 of 13

oh wow...so you just "eyeball" it? You don't measure anything?? I looked at your photos and the one you did for the baby shower is perfect!!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 2:13am
post #4 of 13

Thanks! Lots of practice!

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 13

Use dental floss to score it. If you do mess up, you can take a spatula over the top and start over. Dental floss helps keep the lines straight too.

Use the dental floss before putting on the rose bud, then after you have the pieces scored, then add a rose bud in each square

Cindy

heiser73 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks Cindy! Thats a great idea! I never would have thought to use Dental Floss. I just bought some that isn't flavored so that should work! Thanksicon_smile.gif

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 13

What I do when I have an odd size is to measure to the center. Then measure each half to the center. And then again until I have it all marked. Hope that made sense. LOL I use dental floss too!!!!!!!! You just match up the marks on each side and get a perfectly straight line!!!!

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 13

Some cake supply stores will have impression mats that are 1/2 sheet cake size that you just lay on top of the cake and gently press to make the scores. I've been thinking about picking one up, but keep forgetting to check to see what size of pieces it makes.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 13

I use my handy dandy laser level to make the lines perfectly straight too. that way you don't have to put any marks across the cake to make it striaght - just use the icing and follow the laser line! I do however, have to make tiny marks on the edge of the side for the measurements.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 13

WHAT A GREAT TIP!! A LASER LEVEL!! why did that never occur to me! Definitely my favorite tip in a long time!!!!
did i just hijack this thread?? icon_confused.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:03am
post #11 of 13

Okay, really dumb question here: laser level -- what is it and how does it work??

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #12 of 13

I fold paper up and then look at the squares and then use floss to mark the squares on the sheet cake. I might try using a laser level next time though...

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

I use my handy dandy laser level to make the lines perfectly straight too. that way you don't have to put any marks across the cake to make it striaght - just use the icing and follow the laser line! I do however, have to make tiny marks on the edge of the side for the measurements.

What a great idea! I mentioned this to my DH and he got all excited about me using his laser level on my cakes LOL icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%