Which Oven To Buy?

Business By flourpowernashville Updated 19 May 2007 , 12:24pm by CindiM

flourpowernashville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowernashville Posted 15 May 2007 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 24

icon_confused.gif I am starting a wholesale baking business. Mainly cakes and jumbo muffins. Need to buy an oven for the new site. Do I buy commercial convection (which one) or double ovens? Gas or Electric. I am getting very conflicting views but not from bakers. Need help because decisions have to be made soon!

23 replies
lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 24

I am in the same boat, I am getting ready to legalize my bussiness, and the health department want that all the appliances has to be commercial, the only problem that I like the gas ranges, but in my hause is all electric, in my area we did not have gas lines.

How many of you owns a commercial electric oven?

flourpowernashville Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 24

I have never cooked with a gas oven but am told that they help retain the moisture and cook more evenly. Is that right? I have had issues with my home convection oven not heating evenly and the fans blowing my muffins. I need to speed up my process so am wondering if a commercial convection is better or maybe it is the gas/electric issue.

lilytexas Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 24

so far, I had been cooking in my normal oven(no commercial), but I like the way the gas commercial gas looks.

If there is a cc member with experience with both gas/electric oven please share your experience that way I do not invest in something that I am going to regret.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 24

I'm not sure about commercial, but yes, gas is WAY better than electric. I've had both in my house and I definitely prefer gas. More even cooking, more predictable (cook times don't vary depending on temp in house, fans being on, etc.). Love, love, love gas! Unfortunately I have electric right now, but someday we are going to try to get a big enough gas line into our house so we can have a gas oven.

lilytexas Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 24

Thank you for sharing your experience

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 24

For a month I had a Bosch gas convection oven. Besides it being a lemon (don't buy one!!!) I did NOT like the convection fan, it would blow my batter and I would end up with sloping cakes. It also took up way too much space in the oven. I went to Home Depot and got a GE Adora which is doing just fine for me. The sales lady there told me that you should only get an *electric* convection oven because the heat is distributed more evenly. That's why they have those "dual fuel" ovens -- gas for the cooktop and electric for the convection oven. Since I don't have a dual fuel hookup in my McMansion, I stuck with a plain old GE gas oven, and it's worked just great for me.

lilytexas Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 24

Kelleym did you know if home depot have commercial ovens

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 May 2007 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 24

lilytexas -- I don't *think* they have commercial ovens at my Home Depot, but you could always call your local one to find out for sure. icon_smile.gif

rustyk10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rustyk10 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 24

I don't know whether this would happen in a commercial oven but I had a new electric double oven installed with a kitchen refit. It was a German make and I didn't realise for about 6 weeks that the main oven is only controllable in lumps of 25 degrees i.e. setting of 100, 125, 150, 175 etc. I checked that the oven would take my 14" tin but it never occurred to me to check the settings. It drives me up the wall. If I want 140 degrees I have to start things off at a 150, swtich to 125 after 45 minutes and keep juggling between fan and static settings. Just something else to be aware of. When I complained to the manufacturers they said 'Oh , there made for the French market' so why are they selling them in the UK?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 24

i've got a commercial electric convection oven.

cakes bake in about 28 minutes.

it's great.....the fan doesn't blow the batter around at all.

one think to consider about a commercial gas oven...you'll prolly need a vent, the ones for this application cost several thousand dollars.

i have an electric oven, and i'm kinda known for my moist cake....i think its being able to cook it at a much lower temp for a shorter time is what does it.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 24

when i have the money i will get the Deluxe CR 2-4, i think that is the model number. Earlene Moore has it and several other decorator i know.

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 24

Hobart make a good oven. It depends on how much you want to bake. If you are just baking small amount then I don't think you would need more than 1 convetion oven with double doors. Get glass front. It help with the guess work. Vulkin oven are a bit of a lemon too from what I understan. Check with restaurant supply stores for used equipent or auction houses.

flourpowernashville where did you find you jumbo muffin tins? CountryKitchens discontinued the ones that I want.

I hope that helps some! Thanks.

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 24

<<<i've got a commercial electric convection oven.

cakes bake in about 28 minutes.

it's great.....the fan doesn't blow the batter around at all.

>>>>
littlecake
what is the brand name of your oven?
thanks
marie

flourpowernashville Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 24

Believe it or not... WalMart. I bought them several years ago and they don't sell them any more. I actually have been looking for some more. Thanks for the advice.
I think that I am going to go with the DeLuxe oven--electric.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 15 May 2007 , 11:38pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpowernashville

Believe it or not... WalMart. I bought them several years ago and they don't sell them any more. I actually have been looking for some more. Thanks for the advice.
I think that I am going to go with the DeLuxe oven--electric.

I was in my Walmart last night, and the Wilton area had jumbo muffin tins. I think they were $12/each, or somewhere around there.

Doni in NC

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 16 May 2007 , 3:51am
post #17 of 24

I have an electric convect-a-ray DeLuxe oven Model CR2-3 in my shop. I've had it for 6+ years and never had a problem. The website is deluxeovens.com, click on "full size sheet pan ovens" to see the different models. My oven has 3 shelves (I would get the 4 shelf if I did it again, sweetcakes) and I can bake 6 12x18 sheet cakes at one time for bridal shows. My cakes bake really, really nice. Can you tell, I love my DeLuxe oven!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:13pm
post #18 of 24

CindiM, Thanks for your response. I'm shopping right now too.

lilytexas Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #19 of 24

CindiM,

I saw the website deluxeovens.com but they don't have the prices on it, how much your oven cost, I think that is what I am looking for

CindiM Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:44pm
post #20 of 24

You would need to call them. I bought my oven over 6 years ago.

lilytexas Posted 16 May 2007 , 1:51pm
post #21 of 24

Thank you CindiM

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 19 May 2007 , 3:40am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiM

You would need to call them. I bought my oven over 6 years ago.

I've looked at their website and the ovens look nice. Could you give us an idea of what it was when you bought it?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 May 2007 , 5:03am
post #23 of 24

sorry it took me so long to reply...this is my busiest 2 weeks of the year.

i have a southbend with 5 full sheet racks...

CindiM Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:24pm
post #24 of 24

Shaloop, it seems like it was 2 or 3 thousand. The DeLuxe oven company people were very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%