Freezing Cakes

Decorating By steplite Updated 22 Jun 2006 , 5:50pm by jbc

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:53am
post #1 of 15

Could someone please tell me the correct way to freeze cakes and un thaw them. Can you freeze iced cakes? Thanks.

14 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:58am
post #2 of 15

You'll get different advice from everyone, but what I do is wrap in 2 layers of plastic while they're still slightly warm, just make sure to leave them wrapped while thawing or they'll dry out.

Some people freeze their cakes with the filling, but buttercream can crumble off the cake after freezing. I wouldn't advise it. icon_smile.gif

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:01am
post #3 of 15

Well, alimonkey is right...you'll get several different responses. I ice my cakes in buttercream, freeze them covered in plastice wrap, then when I take them out to thaw, I uncover them so condensation doesn't form. I haven't had icing come off yet...(knock on wood), and my cakes seem to be really moist after frozen. Sometimes I will put them in the freezer uncovered just to get them hard, then cover them so I don't ruin the decorations. this seems to work for me.

steplite Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 15

You're right. several different answers. Everyone has their own way on doing it. My instructor says to unwrap to un thaw. Every one is mostly in agreement about wrapping with plastic wrap and foil, but when it comes to un thawing them, Yiks! to unwrap or not to unwrap,?????? Happy baking everyone.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 15

I have only done it a couple of times but it turned out well. I do also wrap in plastic wrap then in foil after it has cooled. Then to thaw I just leave it wrapped. The condensation adheres to the plastic and foil instead of on the cake. Maybe it doesnt matter if it stays wrapped or unwrapped, people must be having success both ways.

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 15

This weekend I had a cake that I froze then I iced it while it was still frozen. The people at the shower could not stop talking about how good the cake was!!

msg1474 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msg1474 Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 15

Has anybody frozen a fondant covered and decorated cake in the freezer for a week? How did it look? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 15

I wrap mine in saran wrap really well, then I wrap foil over the saran wrap and freeze. When I need the cakes, I take them out in the morning before I leave for work... I take the aluminum foil off the cake but I leave the saran wrap on them... I let them completely thaw like that until I come home from work .. I cut the saran wrap away from the cake and flip it over onto a cake board (covered with whatever you'd like on them) and then decorate... to me, it actually makes the cake more moist than if you had just baked it ... believe me, I was the worse sceptic of this method and would not do it for a long time ... when I finally gave in and did try this out (which I learned from other people here on CakeCentral), I've froze cakes like this every since and will continue to do so ... try it out.. you won't regret it!!

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 15

I am with you on this one ntertayneme.... I have major "freezer phobia" about everything going in the freezer... Only recently have I started freezing, due to volume - and I have to say, the cakes I do freeze, come out very moist and delicious. Wrap 2x in plastic, then heavy duty alum foil (I don't ice w/ the buttercream). Let thaw, then remove all wrapping. I do however only keep cakes in the freezer for that week or two - not usually longer. I do however keep sample cakes in freezer (small 4" ones) for bride tasting, usually about 2-3 months.

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 15

much like most others here, I double wrap with plastic after the cake has cooled completely. When I take them from the freezer, I trim them and ice right away. By then they've thawed on the outside but are still a bit frozen inside. They've always come out great with no problems. Very moist too!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg1474

Has anybody frozen a fondant covered and decorated cake in the freezer for a week? How did it look? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

i have heard different views on this.. and i also need a definate answer as i have a wedding cake due in 2 weeks and just found out that the cake will be placed in a Cabana that is NOT cool at all.. i'm worried about the heat being in the 90's and the cake sitting there.. can i freeze it the night before and just let it defrost.. i read on another thread, (cant find it now) that some people freeze a fondant cake and let it defrost undisturbed and eventually the condensation will evaporate.... i dont know what i'm going to do.. i normally cover my cakes already frozen with the fondant but by the time i'm done with decorations its already defrosted... im worried this thing is going to melt.. any suggestions?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 15

You're right ellyrae!! Always, always let your cakes cool down completely before you wrap them .. then like ellyrae stated, 2 times covering with saran and a good heavy duty aluminum foil, covering it well a couple of time also... I put mine in the freezer on cake boards... after they're completely frozen, you can remove the cake boards (if on a good solid bottom surface... I've even layered mine (only when they have completely frozen) up to about 3 cakes high ... I do this freezing method due to volume also cakesbyallison... it drove me to freezing and I'm so glad it did!! now I can't see myself doing it any other way!!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 20 Jun 2006 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 15

I always freeze too! I do stack my cakes in the freezer, I have a small chest freezer (thank goodness!) that I put fruit, butter and cake in. As far as the time goes, I had a pound cake once that I froze iced because the ducky that I was putting on top of it didn't exactly want to cooperate, so I eventually got tired of fooling with it! I figured I would test the freezing thing since it would more than likely go in the trash anyway. Well, I never had time to do anything with it and finally about 6 months later, I was tired of moving it around every time I needed something, so I took it out and decided to let my family eat it (yes, I took the first bite) to see how awful it tasted. It was actually the best cake I had made! I was worried about the icing, but it was ok. I expected freezer burn or something equally nasty, but it was great! I always freeze, wrap in plastic 2 times, thaw while wrapped.

steplite Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:24am
post #14 of 15

Thanks for all your responses. I did a lot of research on this subject. Most sites such as Baking 911 and Pegs Baking @cableone.net recommended not un wrapping to thaw. Peg says (Her words) "Two days before defrost in the refrigerator.Move to the counter the night before and leave wrapped.Allow to come to room temperature before un wrapping" So... I think I'll follow her advice. Thanks everyone.

jbc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbc Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg1474

i have heard different views on this.. and i also need a definate answer as i have a wedding cake due in 2 weeks and just found out that the cake will be placed in a Cabana that is NOT cool at all.. i'm worried about the heat being in the 90's and the cake sitting there.. can i freeze it the night before and just let it defrost.. i read on another thread, (cant find it now) that some people freeze a fondant cake and let it defrost undisturbed and eventually the condensation will evaporate.... i dont know what i'm going to do.. i normally cover my cakes already frozen with the fondant but by the time i'm done with decorations its already defrosted... im worried this thing is going to melt.. any suggestions?

I don't know if this will help you, but I have frozen a fondant cake before. It was the top teir of my wedding cake. We kept it in the freezer for a whole year and it still looked beautiful upon taking it out. We were a little leery about eating it after all that time, but we let it thaw still wrapped and had no problems with condensation. It still tasted great after all that time and was still moist. We didn't eat the fondant though just peeled it all off. I am wondering if the fondant is what kept the cake moist because we had some sheet cake in there also from our wedding and it didn't have the fondant on it and it was dry as can be. Anyway I hope this helps in some way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%