Which Fondant Smoother To Get?

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 5:00pm by frog80

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 2:27am
post #1 of 4

I'm looking through the Wilton catalog and I was curious which fondant smoother I should get if I want to work with MMF or rolled fondant. The catalog lists the Quick Ease Roller and the Easy-Glide Fondant Smoother. What's the difference between these two (as they are both the same price) and is one better over the other? Or could I use something else to help smooth fondant? Thanks.

3 replies
leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:26am
post #2 of 4

Not sure what the roller is, but the smoother is just a wide flat tool to work the fondant onto the cake. You can use your hands, but the fondant is so soft that you leave finger/handprints in the fondant. The tool prevents that and smooths the fondant while molding it to the cake.

You need a roller to flatten out the fondant enough to put on the cake. A smoother cannot do that.

Oh, I just found the roller. I wouldn't use that on the cake itself. the edges are too sharp. I have seen someone use it doing the viva towel method on buttercream.

That roller could only be used on relatively small pieces of fondant.

A better roller would be the white plastic one that comes with the rings. It's about the same size, but easier to clean, no sharp edges and controls the thickness of the fondant with the rings.

Hope that helps.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 4

You need the smoother for working with the fondant on the cake. Pretty much every other roller is for preparing the fondant to go onto the cake, before you put it on.

Personally, I want that huge round roller, it's relative new, I think it's about $20. Oh my list of wants goes on and on.............

frog80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frog80 Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 4

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%