Help! Ideas Needed For Bridal Shower Cake

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 14 Jun 2006 , 5:58pm by MJsmom

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 1:43am
post #1 of 7

I plan on doing my daughter's bridal shower cake this fall (around end of September). They have an ocean/beach theme (and have found wonderful ides for that), however one of the bridesmaids said being it is a fall wedding, maybe the cake should reflect the season since the whole reception will be ocean themed. I would like to combine both an autumn theme with an ocean/beach theme, but my idea bank is running dry. Any suggestions? Being she wants a square wedding cake, I am going to do the shower cake in stacked squares, and that is not helping me with coming up with ideas either.

deb

6 replies
Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 5:41am
post #2 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=beach&cat=0&pos=66&search=beach

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=beach&cat=0&pos=90&search=beach

LOVE this one!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=beach&cat=0&pos=138&search=beach

"Love, like a pearl, starts small like a grain of sand, and is built over time."

(Not sure if it's a quote, just thought of it.)

We're also looking at a beach theme. Even in the fall, beaches are the same, but more muted, not the bright colors. A picture of a couple walking hand in hand away down the beach would be nice, too, if you could incorporate it. Pants rolled up, tide rolling in... Very fall-ish, but elegant.

Good luck! Make sure to post pics!

MomLittr Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you Zmama, those are great (even though I look, never saw those in gallery). A thought that came to me last nite, he proposed at the gazebo at the local doc, so that might be an element that I can incorporate into the design. Good thing I have a good 4 months to work on this!

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7

I saw a cake in a collete peters book not long ago that might be helpful. She cut out shapes of leaves and placed them all over the cake. the leaves were completely white but she made the viens in the leaves and texured them. You do something on the lines of this. Maybe ice the cake plain then "glue" a few leaves (colored or not)clustered together in different areas of the cake then maybe incorparate sea shells around and/or over the leaves also in clusters. you could also paint the shells in fall colors.
Just a few ideas. I would make the leaves out of fondant or gum paste. The book that I'm rrfering too was a wedding cake book by collete about wedding cakes of different seasons. The book has the all the season and cakes that go with that seaon.

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 7

Well that's an odd combination - since the beach is pretty much the same all year round icon_smile.gif! I think to tackle that one, i would do the shell/sand/water motif and use autumn colors only on the cake - rather than spring or summery tones. The colors themselves can convey a season.

MomLittr Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 7

Yes it is an odd combination. I am still going to lean more towards an ocean theme, with brown overtones. Despite what the bridesmaids say, I am mom, I am making the cake, and I make the decorating decisions! icon_razz.gif ROFL!!! Who knows, maybe if I put the gazebo (sitting on a beach look) on the cake, I could use some fall colored flowers around it. Thanks all for your suggestions!

deb

MJsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJsmom Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with the above posts- the beach theme is pretty year-round, so I wouldn't worry about it looking too summer-y, as long as you don't use bright turquoises and bright pinks, etc.
I'm sure the bridesmaid had good intentions, but she needs to keep her opinions to herself. It's not HER big day- it's your daughters! And like you said, YOU'RE the one making the cake! Be sure to post pics once you finish! Happy baking! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%