Cake Left Out

Decorating By Beezaly Updated 14 May 2007 , 6:48pm by ellepal

Beezaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beezaly Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 16

How long can I leave a fondant covered cake out?

I want to start today but the function isn't until Saturday. Would this be okay??

15 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 16

The fondant part will be fine... firmer and firmer every day but not too too bad, specially if you wrap it... but I think that is way too long for your cake inside. It will really be starting to dry out by then (and you can't exactly check on it) and you run the risk of mold as well.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 16

Well, you can certainly bake and freeze the cake/s today. Ditto for the frosting/s.

I'd probably wait until Weds. or Thurs. to assemble and decorate the cake/s for Sat. depending on the size and number of cakes and degree of decorating difficulty - and whether or not you're doing this for a few hours each day because of job constraints.

If you have all day to devote to this project - thaw the cake layers (Thurs.night) and decorate on Friday.

HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 16

Others may disagree, but I don't think even a fondant cake will be very good sitting around for nearly 6 days icon_surprised.gif Unless, of course, it's a traditional fruit cake, and then 6 days may not be long enough for it to come to "maturity" icon_lol.gif

If it's a very complicated, highly decorated cake, my personal timeline would be to get the cake baked, filled, and undercoated with buttercream on Wed. (or Thurs. am, at the latest), and then fonant covered and decorated over the next 36hrs. For a simple cake, it may be much less time.

Most top decorators don't start Sat. wedding cakes until Wed. or Thurs. (They tend to bake on Tues./Wed.). Once the cakes are baked, they're frozen/refrigerated until construction is started later in the week.

You can probably make some of the add on decos earlier, but I really wouldn't construct the cake until much later in the week.

Rae

Beezaly Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 16

Not the answer I wanted - LOL icon_smile.gif Thanks, I am a SAHM to two, def do not have all day . I figured I would just freeze the cakes and cover Thursday night. How does that sound?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 16

I made a fondant cake yesterday, that although it will be delivered tomorrow, won't be eaten until Friday (not much I can do about that!). That was as late as I could leave it time wise as it had a fair bit of modelling on it. It has no perishable fillings, so I'm not desperately worried about it. I will box it up tonight now the gumpaste has had 24 hours to dry out and then wrap the box in cling film, I don't see what else I can do! Usually, I bake Thursday and decorate Thursday/Friday for the weekend. Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 16

Absolutely, make 'em, and freeze 'em until Thurs. and then start the fun part thumbs_up.gif

Enjoy!
Rae

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 16

I've never frozen a cake before...so you just wrap with lots of saranwrap and then tinfoil? Is that enough to keep it from drying out or taking on any freezer smell?? Thx! Oh...defrost in fridge or on counter?

Beezaly Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks! It's so nice to know my questions will be answered here!! Thanks again

Beezaly Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amecakes

I've never frozen a cake before...so you just wrap with lots of saranwrap and then tinfoil? Is that enough to keep it from drying out or taking on any freezer smell?? Thx! Oh...defrost in fridge or on counter?

I wrap mine in 4-5 layers of cling wrap, then 2-3 layers of foil. The longest I have ever had a cake in the freezer for was 4 days. If I were doing it long term I would put it in a container, though it wouldn't really be nessecary. HTH

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 16

I've had cakes made that sat for several days, certainly not my first choice, but something happened and they couldn't pick them up. They were MMF covered, loosley wrapped in seran wrap and put in the fridge. I asked how the cake was, and they thought they were just fine. I wouldn't recommend this, 2-3 days is, in my opinion, about as long as a cake should sit, but things are not always as we wish them. Make your cakes, freeze them and defrost them, still wrapped, and they'll be just fine. Cakes well protected and frozen will be fine for about one month.HTH

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 16

I think the fondant actually buys you time - it "seals" the air out in effect. At least that is what I have been told in classes I've taken.

Beezaly Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I think the fondant actually buys you time - it "seals" the air out in effect. At least that is what I have been told in classes I've taken.

Ya, my question was based off of that. I have been told that they will last a good few days w/ fondant-I just wasn't sure what "a few days" meant.

Beezaly Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

Ya, my question was based off of that. I have been told that they will last a good few days w/ fondant-I just wasn't sure what "a few days" meant.

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 16

As far as baking and freezing, I have used cake layers that were frozen for more than 2 months. They were Itallian Cream layers, (coconut and nuts). Someone canceled an order after I made the layers. I left them in the freezer and the next time I needed something for family I took them out just to see if they were useable. Once thawed, I honestly could not tell the difference from fresh. I did have them triple wrapped and in a container though.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 14 May 2007 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 16

If it is for Saturday, I try to get them decorated Friday, fondant or otherwise. Thursday for me is stretching it. 6 days is WAY WAY WAY too long to sit out. At that point, it will taste old.

If you want to get started, bake your layers and freeze them. Then make your buttercream and fillings and refrigerate them. Do all of the gumpaste and artwork you can during the week. Then assemble and decorate Friday. It will be fine for a Saturday AM set up. The fondant will be ok overnight...just not over 6 nights. Please trust me on this one!!!!
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%