I Need Your Opinions Please!

Business By tysmom Updated 12 Jun 2006 , 8:14pm by amylynn8

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am meeting with a potential bride this evening. She called me two weeks ago and scheduled an appt. called a few days later and cancelled, told me she would call me back last week to re-schedule. Well she just called and re-scheduled for this evening.
Her wedding is in 12 DAYS!!!!!!!!! It is a small wedding (60 people). She told me over the phone her colors are yellow and white and she loves daisies. She wants two maybe 3 tiered cake. Wants to see what I have to show her. I am thinking a 6,10, 12 (save the 6 for their 1st anniv.) I'm thinking the 10 and 12 (double layer) will be about 65. Is this correct?
I'm just wondering how much should I charge for this cake? Normally I would charge $1.50/serving and add extra for gumpast/fondant flowers. But since it's only 12 days away and I have 2 other cakes due that week plus Class Thursday night should I charge more?
Sorry this is so long, I would really appreciate your opinions on this.
Thanks,
Tammy

5 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 6

I would not charge more just because it is late in the game. Either you have the time to make it or you don't. If you do, then normal pricing, if you don't, say no. But get the FULL amount for payment at the time she orders (make sure she knows she will need to give you a check prior to her heading over for the tasting)

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 6

That cake will probably be more than she needs. I'd say the 12" would serve almost 60 people by itself. How about 12-8-6 or 12-6? Since it is a last minute order, I think it is reasonable to charge a late fee or a little more per serving. Make sure to keep the decorations simple. If she gets outrageous, charge for every single thing extra.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 6

12 days. First I would have said sorry I need 2 weeks MIN. Pay in advance not just depo. In full. If its by check be careful it clears. Take it to her bank if possible. Because of the short notice I would insist on no frills! no fancy filling nothing! Because of NO TIME.
I think 10 and 8 will serve 60 people wedding slices.
Also I hope you are charging for ALL servings even the top tier.
according to my book
12" =56
10" =38
8" =24
6" =12
these are round
square serve
12"= 72
10"=50
8" =32
6" =18
hope it helps.
I charge 1.50 too.
Also if its this not important to her she can go somewhere else.
Don't stress it.

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with jmt1714.
Do normal pricing, but make sure you get the money before you do the cakes. With her calling and canceling and rescheduling make sure you have contract and get the money. I would be afraid that she might cancel /reschedule the date of the wedding- a few days before the actual date and then you might be stuck with extra cake.

amylynn8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amylynn8 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

sorry posted samething twice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%