...mail A Pound Cake?

Decorating By praetorian2000 Updated 14 May 2007 , 3:03pm by praetorian2000

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a poundcake for a friend and mailing it to her. I plan to bake it, let it cool to room temp, wrap it in plastic, then wrap it in foil, and then box and ship overnite mail. I want it to arrive edible. Will that work?

5 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 6

pound cake is easy. After it is cool, I would DOUBLE wrap in plastic wrap, then double wrap in foil, and fit into a heavy duty box that exactly fits the cake so there is no movement. you might even want to consider freezing it prior to shipping it - if so, tell her not to unwrap it until it has thawed, though likely it will have done so before it gets to her

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 6

I would even say to find a hat box the size of the cake and package it in the hat box first, then into another box...or check out my blog, I created a version of pound cakes that featured the pan for Christmas gifts...and am selling them in my bakeshop now...this is an easy way to send the gift, without damage, and they get two gifts in one!

praetorian2000 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

pound cake is easy. After it is cool, I would DOUBLE wrap in plastic wrap, then double wrap in foil, and fit into a heavy duty box that exactly fits the cake so there is no movement. you might even want to consider freezing it prior to shipping it - if so, tell her not to unwrap it until it has thawed, though likely it will have done so before it gets to her

yeah, I had thought about freezing it prior to shipping but then I thought, what's the point...it'll thaw by the time it gets there. and since cake never freezes solid to begin with, it'll thaw by the time it's actually on it's way.
Thanks. I don't know if i have a snug box, but i do have packing peanuts and bubble wrap and other stuff i can use for padding.

stephivey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephivey Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

I just recently shipped a cake for my nieces birthday and it was a disaster! It was decorated though. I don't know if you are planning on decorating it or not. As long as you know it is going to get tossed and turned in every possible direction, it should be fine.

praetorian2000 Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 6

I was thinking of making a lemon drizzle (lemon juice, lemon zest, 10x sugar) and putting that in a small container. Then she can pour on the drizzle to her liking, and the drizzle won't cause the cake to spoil or mold while it's shipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%