My Cake Died :(

Decorating By icing_fever Updated 14 May 2007 , 7:12pm by icing_fever

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:36am
post #1 of 13

I made this cake friday night... Everything was fine it was about an hour before the party started and the whole back end of the cake crumbled. It was like the icing and fondant slid right off the cake. I was in tears it is so hard to see something that took FOREVER just...well die! I don't know what I did wrong. It had supports holding the lid up, in the front and the back. Maybe I put too much B/C under the fondant?
So here are my questions...

1. How much B/C do you guys put under your fondant?
2. How do you put fondant on a square / retangular cake without and folds? I have tried 6 times... with no luck of course!

Thanks guys!

12 replies
icing_fever Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:38am
post #2 of 13

sorry my photo isn't showing up icon_sad.gif You can check it out in my photo's if you would like it's the treasure chest.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:53am
post #3 of 13

Just wanted to say I'm sorry about your cake. I didn't see it in your photos, tho...unless I'm just blind..which IS quite possible icon_smile.gif
I can't help with the icing and fondant questions because my fondant never turns out right, either..

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:58am
post #4 of 13

I just got done looking at your photo and I am thinking that the weight of the cake lid is what caused the disaster. It could have been from just enough weight to cause the back to buckle.

Lindseyr6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindseyr6 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:09am
post #5 of 13

i have put slightly more then a crumb coating of bc under my fondant. i have only done it twice but it worked both times

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:10am
post #6 of 13

I agree with the prevous poster that it could have been the weight of the lid. Was the cake dense - like a pound cake? I ask that because I made a turkey cake (in my photos). I forgot to use a pound cake or other equally dense cake. The weight of the "tail feathers" made his whole behind fall off less than 10 minutes after taking the picture!

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:10am
post #7 of 13

Oh NOW I see it! Told ya I was blind!! icon_lol.gif
I agree with chaptips, it probably was the weight.
But, it was an awesome cake!!

icing_fever Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 13

It was a heavy cake, I used the enhanced cake recipe. Would you recommend the box pound cake recipe? I iced the cake as if it would be a b/c cake and then put the fondant over it so I am starting to think maybe I used too much b/c too. Oh well.... you live and learn icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help!!

chaptlps Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 13

K I have a question hun. How close to the back edge were your dowels? That right there might actually be the culprit. Were they flush with the top of the fondant? Did they stick up just a little? Were they closer than an inch to the side?

icing_fever Posted 14 May 2007 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 13

mmm, they were about and inch from the back of the cake and they were a little higher than the cake itself so maybe that was the problem? So do you think I didn't give it enough migration room? hmmmm.... this is almost like detective work icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 13

so yer sayin that the dowels were only as tall as the cake itself and not cake frosting and fondant? Or were they as tall as all that stuff?
Yeppers just like detective work. We b the cake CDI's (cake disaster investigators)

icing_fever Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 13

lol icon_smile.gif No they were sticking out of the fondant and icing.

Another thing is there such thing as too much b/c under fondant ? It always seems that I have some oozing out or making wrinkles!

icing_fever Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 13

BTW I don't know what I would do without you guys! You really are life savers icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%