Marketing And Advertising Tips

Business By Silver044 Updated 14 May 2007 , 12:05pm by Silver044

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone help me? I am looking to start a new business and I would like to start advertising once I became "legal". How do you go about this when you move to a new city and no one knows who the heck you are?!?!

Also does anyone know how long, on the average, it takes to get all of your permits and such?

Thanks for all of your help!!

3 replies
cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 4

I can't answer for anyone else, but for me, I took free sample cakes to every bank, doctor/dentist office, hospital, bridal shops, jewelers, party stores, etc., that I could think of. It took about 6 months for the ball to get rolling and for my name to begin circulating regularly. Now, I can barely keep up and have my husband delivering for me and my neighbor working with me on weekends. Make sure that once you're licensed and start advertising to include flyers and lots of business cards. You'll be surprised at how quickly word of mouth will travel. For me, that alone has been my best and only form of advertising. Your cakes will sell themselves. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!
Amy

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:28am
post #3 of 4

I agree with Amy, word of mouth is by far the best advertising you can get. Another way to generate this would be to take a small cake to your morning TV news crew or a local radio station. They are usually happy to get free stuff, and will talk about how much they enjoyed it. Call ahead of time to make sure it's okay though.

When I started out, I carried a 4x6 brag book of cake photos in my purse. Anytime I started a conversation with someone, even in the Wal-Mart check out lines, I whipped out my pictures and a business card. Actually, I handed out a LOT of cards at Wal-Mart. People tend to be interested in why I am buying 12 pounds of butter, a box of 5 dozen eggs, a huge bag of flour, etc. I ALWAYS get the "Looks like someone has a lot of baking to do" comment. And then I say 'Yep! It's what I do- custom cakes and cookies. Here's my card.'

Find out what the most popular newspaper in town is. Don't waste your advertising dollars on a paper that nobody looks at.

Join your Chamber of Commerce, then make sure to attend some functions so you can network like crazy!

Donate a cake to a local fundraising event. They will advertise that you donated to the cause which A-gets your name out there and B-generates good will when people see you being an active and helpful part of the community.

Hope these get some creative juices flowing for you! icon_smile.gif Good Luck!
Beth

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for you help! These sound like great suggestions that I will most definitely use!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%