Mike Mccarey - What Was He Using?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 12 Jun 2006 , 2:41am by fearlessbaker

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 20

Did anyone watch Unwrapped on Food Network, where they were showing Mike McCarey making those cell phone cakes (he is my favorite! I love his stuff!) He had rolled out chocolate and was pressing some sort of transfer to the chocolate to make the numbers for the cell phone buttons.
Does anyone know what he was using? (the transfer technique) They were so cool looking!

19 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 20

i didn't see the show, but i would imagine it was some kind of choc. transfer sheet that he used.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 20

Chocolate transfer sheets at www.berylscakes.com. You don't need to buy a lot at one time from her. There are places that will cusom do them for you --- or you can make your own.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

Chocolate transfer sheets at www.berylscakes.com. You don't need to buy a lot at one time from her. There are places that will cusom do them for you --- or you can make your own.

Is there a tutorial somewhere about doing them by yourself?

fearlessbaker Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 20

Here you go. www.countrykitchenssweetartsa.com. They are simple and I can help you too. I never used those white strips they show though. I just found www.sweetswiss.com. But haven't explored their site yet.

Omicake Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks, fearlessbaker, really appreciate your rapid response.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 20

I can't get the countrykitchen...website to come up. Was it spelled correctly? Thanks

Omicake Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 20

I couldn't either.

fearlessbaker Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 20

www.countrykitchensa.com. Now try it. I had some trouble too. If it doesn't work just search chocolate transfer sheets and you will see it.

loriemoms Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 20

Yes, but how did he customize it? I have only seen them pre-printed. I guess he had special equipment?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_pa_weddings

(click near the bottom where it says creative wedding cakes)

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 20

I don'nt think they were chocolate transfer sheets. Chocolate tranfer sheets do not just rub off. They need to set in chcocolate for the image to come off. He put them directly on fondant and embossed it with his hand.

loriemoms Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:06am
post #12 of 20

Yes, it was like some kind of transfer paper...pretty cool looking, wasnt it?

fearlessbaker Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:25am
post #13 of 20

Well.... The transfers on the transfer sheets do rub off onto chocolate. I use them all the time. As far as custom sheets there are places that will do custom sheets. Don't know if www.berylscakes.com does but I would start there. Later on, I will search it out.

moydear77 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:37am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

Well.... The transfers on the transfer sheets do rub off onto chocolate. I use them all the time. As far as custom sheets there are places that will do custom sheets. Don't know if www.berylscakes.com does but I would start there. Later on, I will search it out.

I have tranfer sheets and if I place them on fondant and start rubbing the image will come off? I use them on chocolate also and they adhere to the chcolate and when set you peel away the transfer sheet. I don't rub the sheet on the chcocolate to make it come off.

I tried to rub the image onto a piece of fondant and it did not come off.

fearlessbaker Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:56am
post #15 of 20

Ok, Just saw the video. He probably made his own transfer. I know it can be done with cocao butter and acetate. He is in Washington State. His phone no is 425-869-0651, Mike's Amazing Cakes. I have resorted to calling chefs a few times and have great luck. Why not call him. There doesn't seem to be an e address for him that could be found.

Now, as far as the fondant, never done a transfer onto fondant. Are you sure you had the proper side against the fondant? Once in a while, I have had to rub the transfer a little being carefull not smear or blur it. Haven't looked for sheets with numbers on them. But that should be a common thing. I will look around the net and get back to you all.

moydear77 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 1:10am
post #16 of 20

Yes I did.

fearlessbaker Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #17 of 20

You did! Well now, I don't know how to get it work on fondant. I am going to try. when I do it on chocoate it's not completly dry and set up. I am guessing the fondant that you tried it on is dry. Tomorrow I am going to try a choc. transfer sheet on the fondant.

moydear77 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:37am
post #18 of 20

If I put a layer of choholate on the fondant and then applied the transfer sheet and let set it would work. He did not do that, he just placed it right in the fondant.Yes the fondant is dry.

fearlessbaker Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #19 of 20

Oh, I am so curious now as to how he did it. There is a place on his site to send an email and tomorrow I am doing that. For now though, I am settling in with the Sunday Paper.

fearlessbaker Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #20 of 20

Oh, I am so curious now as to how he did it. There is a place on his site to send an email and tomorrow I am doing that. For now though, I am settling in with the Sunday Paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%