I Dont Want The Cake To Fall...anyone Used This????

Decorating By ge978 Updated 11 Jun 2006 , 5:05pm by ge978

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 16

The bride brought me this disposable cake stand & the base is styrofoam & the pillar things that hold the cakes don't seem that sturdy either...I feel like the cakes are going to fall right off of these things...the cake is one layer of cake & one layer of cheesecake right on top so its going to be pretty heavy. Please someone tell me that you've used this thing & that its worked out!!!!!!
LL

15 replies
caboose_970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caboose_970 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 16

We have used it. But only for single layer cakes. I don't think I would advise to use it with multi layer cakes... I was timid at first when they used it the first time but it is ok with the smaller wedding cakes.. or least from our experience. Good Luck.

ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Caboose...it just seems really flimsy almost like the cakes will tilt & slide off!! icon_eek.gif One more question..if you are still around here...do you guys cover the styrofoam part with anything like flowers or fabric?

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 16

I have one that I have used repetedly (spellcheck!!!!!!) It has 5 layers on it. They hold up just fine. I covered the "poles" with greens and satin or fabric on the base. I did not cover the styrofoam plates with anything, but I have seen it done with satin. Sorry I have no pics, but I just got my digital camera!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 16

I was tempted to buy that one the other day at Michael's but didn't because I was scared of it too ge.

ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 16

Kazoot: thank you for your help & I'm looking forward to seeing the pic when you upload it thumbs_up.gif

NEW: I have a really pretty silver stand that I think would be pretty for her wedding cake, but she has her heart set on this look....which I don't think the style itself is bad, I just wish the stand was sturdier. I have visions of someone touching it & the cake sliding off icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif I'll let you know how it goes & then depending you might want to go ahead & get the stand.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 16

I would tell the bride that it isn't strong enough and to choose something else. Better a lttle disappointment now than a "smashed cake-give me my money back" later.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks ge! I pictured the same thing happening and decided against it. I think it would be perfect for cookies,petit fours, or CAKE BALLS! Just scary for a wedding cake.

I had my heart set on the same style for my wedding and was able to rent a nice sturdy stand from MPE Rentals. You might check into that.

ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

I would tell the bride that it isn't strong enough and to choose something else. Better a lttle disappointment now than a "smashed cake-give me my money back" later.

Believe me Jenn...I've tried talking her out of it but she won't be convinced so I've told her that if something happens money will not be reimbursed...I have it in writing. I've offered her many options, but she's set on this one so I guess its whatever she wants icon_rolleyes.gif

NEW: I didn't even think about using it for stuff like cookies & cake balls...thats actually a good idea. I even tried to tell her that i would put my dummy cakes decorated on the stands since they are light & then do the cakes for the back, but no go. So I will either be telling you a good experience or posting in the disaster forums icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 16

When is this for?

ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 16

oops..I forgot to say when...its for July 15th ...so I have a little time. I think since I have the stand I will do a test run with some cakes & see how they go. If the test run goes bad...I will tell the bride she absolutely has to chose something else or make adjustments to the size of her cakes.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 16

It would be better if the heavier cake is on the bottom. Can you convince her to do that? That isn't much of a concession. If she wants more cake for the top tier maybe you could make her a 6" cake. Oh, Bridezillas!!!!!!!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 16

One thing that might help with any cakes sliding off the bases on this is to use that shelf liner stuff that is rubber coated mesh. I use that on my turntable, and since I dont have a tilting turntable, I sometimes have to prop it at an angle. With that rubbery liner, even at a 35-40 degree angle, my cakes don't slide.

Now - if the table gets bumped....I couldn't predict what the result would be.

ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 16

fearlessbaker: thanks for the idea...I'll have to see if that will work thumbs_up.gif I think sometimes brides just get an idea in their head & they don't realize that it might not work the way they want.

DelightsByE : That might be worth looking into also. I guess I'm just afraid if someone bumps into the table the cakes will be history no matter what size they are.

I guess i'm gonna have to put some thought into this...maybe I'll put some cakes on it & then bump into the table & see what happens icon_biggrin.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 4:33pm
post #15 of 16

By All means use the rubber mesh that the others suggested. I forgot about that. Try not to worry too much. Brides tend to change their minds!

ge978 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks fearless thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%