Almond Flavoring???

Decorating By briannastreats Updated 13 May 2007 , 2:40am by kidsnurse

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:13am
post #1 of 8

Okay, probably a stupid question... but what is the difference between white almond flavoring and regular almond flavoring from Wilton?

Also, what is the best way to flavor a cake, in this instance a white cake for a wedding, with almond flavoring? Do I add some to the cake mix, or just flavor the bc with it, or flavor the fondant with it (can I do that???)?

Thanks CCers!!! You all are the best. I'm fairly new to the site (within the last few days) and am extremely addicted to it...
Brianna icon_confused.gif

7 replies
Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:20am
post #2 of 8

I love to add a teaspoon of Almond flavoring to a white cake. To me, it makes the ultimate wedding cake flavor! You can add it to BC as well, instead of vanilla, and you can also add it to fondant. I added it to my most recent batch of MMF, and it tasted great!

Good luck!

<M>

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:22am
post #3 of 8

I can't answer all of your questions, but I ALWAYS use clear almond extract in my buttercream. I think it's lots better tasting than vanilla!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 8

I've never heard of white almond as for adding the flavor you can put it in the cake batter or the icing/fondant it's your choice. I find that if you add it to the cake then you'll have the flavour throughout if you put it in the fondant well you have to remember not everyone eats the stuff some just pull it off the cake. As for the icing then you'll have the flavour only in the icing so if someone gets a piece without much icing they wont get much of the flavour. Hope this helps

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:26am
post #5 of 8

You have all helped me tremendously!! Thank you so much. I will put the flavoring in both the cake mix and the bc. You all are the best!!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:27am
post #6 of 8

I can answer (maybe) that question. Regular almond flavoring is almond oils. Wilton is a simulated flavor. I am allergic to most nuts. I can eat the wilton not the other. Hopefully they won't change thier recipe. I love the taste. But not the shots afterwards. LOL

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

The only time I recall seeing "white almond" is when people have mentioned white almond sour cream cake. In that case, the recipe is for white cake with regular almond flavoring.

I just made MMF with almond extract and it is YUMMY!!! I have added it to white cake batter with great results as well.

Hope this helps!

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #8 of 8

Just be careful with the amount, its pretty potent stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%