Gum Glue Container?

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 13 May 2007 , 3:04am by ShirleyW

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I was just wondering what people use as a gum glue container? I've seen several cake decorators with something that looked like a nail polish bottle for their gum glue. Are you guys getting empty containers from somewhere? Or do you just clean an old nail polish bottle really really good?

Thanks,
Christine

8 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 9

People get empty ones from Sally Beauty supplies, I believe. icon_smile.gif

rocketgirl96 Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Missy,
But I've already tried calling all the Sally's around here and they don't have any. icon_sad.gif

Thanks anyway,
Christine

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 9

Hopefully those who use them will jump here with some other suggestions. I just put mine in empty luster or pixie dust containers and use a paintbrush. icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 9

I use a baby food jar because the lid seal liquid tight and it is small enough to fit in my caddy but big enough to hold plenty of glue. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 May 2007 , 1:08am
post #6 of 9

I bought little paint cups at Michaels for my students to use. (they look like the little pots that the paint comes in for a paint by number set~ and they seal shut tightly!) Look in the paint isle there for something that will work in the size you need.

rocketgirl96 Posted 13 May 2007 , 1:15am
post #7 of 9

These are all good ideas but I was really hoping for something that already has a brush on the lid.

Thanks,
Christine

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 13 May 2007 , 1:38am
post #8 of 9

I got mine at a nails supply specialty store (the kind where nail salons get their wax, polish, etc). They sell empty nail polish bottles in different shapes with different brushes. The store was in the Asian section of our town, if that would help.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:04am
post #9 of 9

My daughter is a manicurist and bought a case of them from our local beauty supply. They average about $1.00 or less per bottle. Why not ask your hairdresser if she can order them for you. Not sure you would have to order a full case, I just did that because I teach gumpaste flower classes and each student then gets their own bottle to use. It is very handy to have the brush applicator in the top, just the right size for applying small amounts of gum glue to petals, or for dipping floral wire.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%