I Learned Something....

Decorating By daltonam Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 2:53pm by surfergina

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:02am
post #1 of 20

ABOUT MYSELF TODAY.

I WON'T PAY $25.OO FOR A SKIRT, OR PANTS, OR SHIRT, ETC FOR MYSELF--

BUT I JUST DROPPED OVER $25.OO ON Code:THE WHIMSICAL BAKE HOUSE LIKE IT WAS NOTHING...

ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME?????????

19 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:03am
post #2 of 20

yep me to......

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:08am
post #3 of 20

Me as well. I've spent more on supplies for cakes in the past 6 months than I have for my clothes. I think my family is starting to work towards an intervention for me. LOL!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:11am
post #4 of 20

I'm the EXACT same way!! Isn't it weird how our brains justify these things??

daltonam Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:14am
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmom

I'm the EXACT same way!! Isn't it weird how our brains justify these things??

O MY GREAT DAY YOU ARE SO RIGHT---I COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW MUCH THIS OR THAT COST - BUT I WALKED IN BOOKS A MILLION & BOUGHT IT LIKE IS WASN'T EVEN A BIG DEAL

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:16am
post #6 of 20

Decorating equipment can make decoraters money, whereas, clothes does not. I think that is why we tend to spend the money on the decorating supplies without a blink of an eye. I am the same way. I started decorating about six months ago and that is all I look for now. When I go to any kind of store I always go looking to see what I can find on sale or not on sale that would help me with decorating.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:19am
post #7 of 20

Boy!

People are really talking about that book. Guess I'll have to check it out...

What's it like?

--Knox--

daltonam Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:25am
post #8 of 20

HAVEN'T READ IT YET, I WENT IN TO LOOK FOR SPECTACULAR CAKES BY MICH TURNER THAT SAMSGRANNY WAS TALKING ABOUT, WANTED TO SEE WHAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT --BUT THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT--SO I GOT THIS ONE, ALSO WANTED TO SEE COLETTE PETERS BOOK BUT THEY DIDN'T ANY IN

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 4:49am
post #9 of 20

I checked that book out from the library and renewed it til they wouldn't let me renew it anymore. After that, it's about 15cents per day thumbs_up.gif

At that point I asked my sister to buy it for me for christmas.

The two other books I couldn't stand to give back to the library were:

Sweet Celebrations by Sylvia Weinstock and
The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett

I got those as gifts also per my request.

daltonam Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 4:52am
post #10 of 20

my local library doesn't have any i've asked for yet, i'm gonna go browse the next time i have time

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 11:46am
post #11 of 20

I bought The Whimsical Bakehouse for myself back in the fall and that's what really renewed my interest in cake decorating. I love their style! One of my first cakes was based on something they did. Its such a beautiful book to look through. Check out their website, they've got great stuff on there! www.rivierabakehouse.com I am dying to make a trip there just to see their cake display! I'm such a geek. icon_smile.gif

I bought the Toba Garrett book the other day..she's got a lot of great information in there. I also have a huge stack of books sitting on my dining room table that I requested from the library. That's definitely the way to go. I bought this magazine from B & N the other day that was imported from England and its just all wedding cakes. Picture after picture after picture..I do believe that at least one person from this site contributed pictures.

Who needs new clothes when you've got awesome books to look through??
cindy

daltonam Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 20

i think i'm gonna have to find a bigger library to check out & a B & N b/c there just was a lot here---& i would like to look, just to see some of these books--

i looked at WBH last night, i like that they give directions on how-to & it is filled w/recipes-i'm still trying to decide if i think it was worth it-i do like it alot so far

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:58pm
post #13 of 20

Ok, now I may have to get the Whimsical Bakehouse. I have several of their recipes waiting to be tried, copied from various websites. I hear their white and yellow cake recipes are great. We shall see...lol.

I love Toba's book, one of my favorites. Also, I made this post last week, a great book to check out. I think someone posted it was just released in April...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-27620.html

Also, I find the best bargains for books ordering online. If you can find them on Overstock (.com), they usually have good prices and for most states no tax, shipping a little over $1.

I really need a new bookcase, some of my books are now starting to form piles on the floor and I hate that! icon_biggrin.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:02pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

ANYONE ELSE LIKE ME?????????

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedeco

Decorating equipment can make decoraters money, whereas, clothes does not. I think that is why we tend to spend the money on the decorating supplies without a blink of an eye. I am the same way. I started decorating about six months ago and that is all I look for now. When I go to any kind of store I always go looking to see what I can find on sale or not on sale that would help me with decorating.

I agree, I have spent a small fortune on cake decorating supplies and cake decorating books---in the last year alone the amount I spent on gumpaste supplies and classes surprises even me. But it's what I love, it's who I am, and it's paying off in orders and my own personal satisfaction. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for the tip about overstock.com. They have loads of books there. I've never thought to buy books there. Has anyone seen this book called "Kate's Cake Decorating". It looks neat on the cover, but I wonder what the book is like..

My friend also turned me on to a site called half.com..its an ebay thing, but no auctions. They have books, videos, dvds..you get a list of sellers and the condition of the books they are selling. If you don't mind if the book isn't in perfect condition, you can get a decent price. If you buy more than one book from the same seller, the shipping costs go way down.

Cindy

daltonam Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:26pm
post #17 of 20

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif i keep wondering if could have got it cheaper somewhere else i need to check out these sites thanks

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:32pm
post #18 of 20

Well I just ordered the Whimsical Bakehouse book off of Overstock...now for a bookcase, lol.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:39pm
post #19 of 20

Hey guys, check amazon.com for better prices on that book. I was looking at it and it was under $20!!!!! HTH I have to get it too!!!!!

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 2:53pm
post #20 of 20

That's correct - I ordered 3 books from Amazon and I got free shipping!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%