Rice Crispies

Decorating By Rosie_from_MD Updated 14 May 2007 , 10:58am by lapazlady

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:31am
post #1 of 13

I have tried searching the forums and haven't been able to come up with anything yet. My question is, when you make rice crispies for molding and covering with fondant, do you do anything different than when you just make them to eat??? icon_redface.gif Thanks for helping!

12 replies
christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 13

I just make them, the normal way, and then mold. Good Luck!!

Chrisite

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 13

Use the regular recipe and place them in pans that will help you get the desired form.
Carve away and enjoy the cuttings.
Good luck

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 13

Just follow the recipe on the ricekrispie box. If you think it's too marshmellowy (if such a word exists), add some more cereal, but be careful you don't add so much you can't make the form you wish and have it hold together. When you're making your shape, squeeze it good and hard, the denser it is the better it stays together. Have lots of fun, it's like playing with clay.

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:58am
post #5 of 13

Thanks everyone--I can't wait to try this!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:05am
post #6 of 13

I think I use a little less butter in order to let it be a little stiffer....

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 13 May 2007 , 3:07am
post #7 of 13

Just wanted to add that you might want to smash up the cereal first so that once you cover it with fondat it will be smoother. I've done it both ways and smashing them definately makes a big difference.

Good luck

lapazlady Posted 13 May 2007 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 13

After you've made your figure, out of rice krispies, put a coating of RI on it, and allow it to dry for 24 hours or so, then sand the RI smooth, wipe it off with a clean towel and you're ready to all the fondant and there will be no lumps or bumps.

martyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martyz Posted 14 May 2007 , 2:26am
post #9 of 13

How far in advance can you make a figurine out of rice crispies (and coat in RI) before you actually need it? I know that you can store fondant ones for a couple of months (weather permitting) - can you do it with these as well?

lapazlady Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:01am
post #10 of 13

I made the Armadillo about 4 weeks in advance. And the Christmas figures about 3 weeks in advance. I covered the Chistmas figures with RI about 10 days before I covered them with fondant. (It's reasonably dry here, during winter.)

martyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martyz Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:23am
post #11 of 13

Thanks for the info...I have started to play around with some fondant and the character I have been doing (same as my avatar) I think will be too heavy for the cake if I don't do it in rice crispie first.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:34am
post #12 of 13

How do you "sand" them?

lapazlady Posted 14 May 2007 , 10:58am
post #13 of 13

Since I don't expect anyone to eat them I use "emory paper", or regular fine sand paper. I do it out side so the dust isn't all over the kitchen. It's a sand, blow on it to see the progress and sand some more. When I'm happy with the surface I dust them off with a soft, dry cloth and continue to the next step. (I use styrofoam to raise the height of cakes, I cover the styrofoam with RI, let it dry for 2-3 days and then sand, then these are covered with fondant.) I'm in the process of preparing dummys, they're cut to size styrofoam, then covered in RI, when it's dry, I'll sand them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%