Painting On Fondant, Gumpaste, Cookies

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 1:07am by dolcesunshine20

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 8

What do you use to paint on fondant and such? can you use the same gel colors you normally use to color BC?

thanks,
Kat

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 8

yes, the americolor work perfectly!! I don't have too many pictures of the painting I've done because I just mess around with it (my mom is a wonderful painter, but lives in Ohio......I'm moving there soon and planning on forcing her in on a cake bus. LOL) anyhow.......there is a daisy garden cake in my photos where I painted grass on the sides...and there are some easter cookies that I painted on royal icing.....any firm surface will work! The wilton evidentally work too but you have to thin them....the americolor will work straight up!!! You should definitely try it it's a ton of fun!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 8

Yup! You can use them right out of the jar, or I like to mix it with vanilla or vodka--makes it much easier to paint. The Cappuccino cup cake in my photos is actually buttercream painted with the the color gels mixed with vodka. So you can do it with BC too. thumbs_up.gif

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 8

KH i was looking at your pics and thought about it. That's why i asked.

you both do awesome decorating! man, i dream someday being that good.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 8

When I paint with color gel/paste I mix it with Everclear. You can also use Vodka, Gin or Lemon Extract. I find that it helps the colors dry faster and they do not dry tacky, like they have when I just used the color gel/paste.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 8

You can also use petal or luster dust to paint your cakes with. I use lemon extract to paint with, works really great for me!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 8

lemon extract is okay if it isn't a dark yellow color.The darker the yellow the better chances of the color bleeding through the lustre dust.Mine did that!! Now I just use Vodka since everclear isn't available here.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:07am
post #8 of 8

I just use the Kroger brand and it's clear, but I can definitely see how the yellow colored stuff would be a problem!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%