Need Help With Gold Dust

Decorating By bennettsrus Updated 9 Jun 2006 , 8:07pm by KHalstead

bennettsrus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennettsrus Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 6

HELP... I have a cake due tomorrow and I am stuck! icon_cry.gif

I had wilton gold luster dust that I was using to paint the letters on my cake. I had MAJOR issues to the point that I had to use up all my gold and had to re do all the words.

I just could not for the life of me get the gold to paint. I used vodka first and that failed. Then I used lemon extract and that failed. My gold would clump up or get sticky or better yet it just turned to an orange liquid with no glitter???????????

Anyway this morning I was told in my cake group that I shouldn't use the wilton gold?????? then what gold am I suppose to use and now that this cake is due tomorrow... where am I going to get "other" gold?

HELP! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 6

If you are using Wilton then that is the problem. Wilton does not make a true luster dust and their stuf does NOT mixe with vodka--it just clumps. Sorry that it was such a pain for you. If all you have is access to the Wilton sparkle dust, jusy use a little bit of water to help attach.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 6

where are you located? maybe someone around you has gold luster dust, or you can get it today?

bennettsrus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennettsrus Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 6

I am located in Canada... Mississauga Ontario.
I think what I will do is tell the customer NOT to eat the letters and go to a craft store and get the gold chalk. Am I allowed to do that???????

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 6

you can, but are they attached to the cake? this may pose a problem. As a customer, if you tell this person not to eat the letters,and then they are on the cake, they make think it's not safe to eat the part that the letters were sitting on as well. People are funny that way. Any way for you to place the letters on the board? If you are doing that, in the scrapbooking aisle of your craft store, they may have metallic powders (by the embossing powders) They have a great gold, and it's non-toxic, but I only use it on dummy cakes. So if you were putting the words on the board (no food contact) then that would be ok.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 6

or stick the letters on wires so they're sticking up out of the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%