Pricing For 2 Wedding Cakes?

Business By mommabuda Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 11:10pm by candyladyhelen

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 14

these are the first wedding cakes i made.. they're for my former boss and she's having a small reception in her backyard for her son and daughter who just got married a few months ago in different states. the white one is white cake with all BC frosting and the other one is marble with BC frosting... both filled and both are 10" cakes double layers... i really don't want to charge a lot because they're my first and i'm not sure the quality is up to par... she's also out of a job like i am so... anyone have any suggestions?
LL
LL

13 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 14

If it were "me" and considering I don't live in an expensive area AND I wanted to give her a deal I'd charge her $30 each. If you didn't want to make any money of them you could just charge her for ingredients. If she were a good friend I might consider that.

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 14

Both of those cakes are beautiful! I'm too new at this to give advice about charging...sorry.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with LNW at $30 each.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 14

personally I don't like to think of charging for a "wedding" cake vs. a "birthday" cake or any other event. Price should be based on the cost of materials, time, and effort put into the cake.

To me, the scary part is making a cake FIRST and then trying to figure out what to charge. you should hammer that out before you even mix the batter.

But to your question - just call a bakery (not agrocery store) and ask them what they'd charge for a similar size cake . . . that will give you a ballpark answer. Don't be surprised if whatever you tell your former boss is more than he/she was expecting.

jeans541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeans541 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:31pm
post #6 of 14

First, your cakes turned out very nicely!

Now, it sounds like you know you will be undercharging your former boss and it's just fine to do favors for friends. If it were me, I would let her know that since the cakes are for her and they are your first wedding cakes, you are giving her a *special* price. That way, she doesn't tell everyone she knows that you make gorgeous 10" cakes for $30, but you will have a very satisfied reference for future business. Congrats on a job well done!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 14

Your cakes turned out beautifully!

I agree with jeans541! You'll get great publicity for the future and for $30 each, your former boss can't help but see that she got a great bargain.

Well Done! thumbs_up.gif

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 3:08am
post #8 of 14

Just wanted to say that your cakes look beautiful! icon_smile.gif

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 14

your cakes are beautiful. you could definately get $30 the next time.

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 14

Your cakes are very beautiful!!!! If it were me, I would consider $40 a very good deal. I'm serious, your icing is so perfectly smooth, your technique is perfect, these are not "Beginner" wedding cakes.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 14

Thirty each is a TERRIFIC BARGAIN for those beautifully done cakes. I'm sure she would be happy to pay that for them.
Your work is terrific!!

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 14

thanks everyone for all the replies (and the compliments!) i just delivered the cakes and asked her for $25 a piece... she gave me $60 icon_smile.gif so i'm very happy... thanks!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 5:03pm
post #13 of 14

Just so you know in the future...the quality is definitely up to par. They are gorgeous.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 14

Both cakes are really great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%