Help...starting A Business In Florida?

Business By mandytagg Updated 22 Jun 2006 , 2:45am by kris2005

mandytagg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandytagg Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:53am
post #1 of 13

icon_sad.gif Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this site. I just need a little guidance as to where to start when beginning a cake business?! Live in Florida. I just really love cake decorating and everyone keeps telling me that I should start selling them for some extra cash. Woiuld love to have my own bakery someday, but where do I begin right now? All I know is what I would name my business and that it is not already taken. Any advice? icon_cry.gif

12 replies
Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:57am
post #2 of 13

I don't have much info to share with you on this subject, but here is a tutorial that might get you going in the right direction. Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/article57-Wanting-to-start-a-Cake-Decorating-Business-but-where-do-I-begin.html

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:57am
post #3 of 13

I know laws and regulations vary by state. I don't know ANYTHING about Florida, but a good place to state is the dept. of agriculture in Florida. that seems to be where others have started when looking for information. Sorry, wish I could help more. icon_sad.gif

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 2:59am
post #4 of 13

Congratulations newbie mandytagg I see you joined today!!!! Go to forums and scroll down to CAKE DECORATING AS A BUSINESS, click on it there is alot of info. Also in the article section you can click on SO YOU WANT TO START A CAKE DECORATING BUSINESS..WHAT TO DO NEXT.( I think thats what it says) Hope this helps!! - rhondie

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 13

Bad new for you. FL is one of the toughest states! You are not allowed to sell anything baked in your home! If you want to be liscensed then you have to have a seperate kitchen away from living quarters. It must include a seperate bathroom and all commercial equipment!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Bad new for you. FL is one of the toughest states! You are not allowed to sell anything baked in your home! If you want to be liscensed then you have to have a seperate kitchen away from living quarters. It must include a seperate bathroom and all commercial equipment!

and is a pain in the rear to get permitted!! sorry....going through this right now. you will also need to check w/your county & city ordiances.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 8:45am
post #7 of 13

Hello mandytagg. I'm brand new to this site too. Where in Florida are you? I'm in Jacksonville and looking to open up my own business. I'm wanting to combine my cakes with a tea room, so i'm up against the same issues as you. I have contacted the health department and they sent me a huge list of requirements. It's a bit overwhelming, but I want it very much. Just go to your city or county website or look up your city or county health department. That is the best place to start. You get an idea of what you will need.

SabraSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SabraSweets Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 13

Hello Pdrinkard and Mandytagg. I am new to this site also. And I live in florida too and am having trouble trying to find out info about starting a business here. If you two could share info with me it would help greatly. thanks

SabraSweets Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 13

Hello Pdrinkard and Mandytagg. I am new to this site also. And I live in florida too and am having trouble trying to find out info about starting a business here. If you two could share info with me it would help greatly. thanks

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 5:47am
post #10 of 13

Hi Sabra...where in florida are you. I'm in Jacksonville. I started first with the health department for my county. They sent me a list of everything I have to have to do to get the kitchen up to code. WOW...talk about overwhelming. But I want this bad enough that i'm going to make it happen.

pinkflamingo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflamingo Posted 17 Jun 2006 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 13

Another FL babe here, and this is tricky. I'm in the midst of it right now. Know that state, county and city regulations are all DIFFERENT. For example, in my county it was impossible to satisify the state AND county codes because the state said the kitchen had to be outside of my residence and the county said it had to be inside my residence. AGGHHH! My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a building inside the city limits and they have another whole list of restrictions. My advice, don't start at home it is illegal and the risks are to high, but do the research starting at the local level (city or county). You can find listings in the government pages of your phone book. Once you understand the local codes check out the state ones on the myflorida website. Although it is not easy to do, it can be done--good luck.

SabraSweets Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 13

sorry, it took so long to reply, but i have been having trouble signing in.
i am in fort lauderale ,fl. these laws make it really hard for someone to start out.

kris2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris2005 Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 2:45am
post #13 of 13

I live in Miami fl and i also want to start my own business would it be easier if I rented kitchen space from a local church or restaurant and get started that way?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%