Humidity And Salty Air On A Boat Need Help!!!!!

Decorating By neikosmom Updated 22 May 2007 , 3:27am by beachcakes

neikosmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neikosmom Posted 11 May 2007 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 7

I am please requesting advice... I've never decorated a cake for a wedding on a boat. Of course it is in South FL(thanksgiving weekend), TG! she changed it from the Bahamas... I'm doing a white chocolate cake with some kind of filling, whenever they make up their mind. The wedding is in the evening on a dinner boat. I think I can handle any movement or shifting from the boat, but I'm worried about the humidity and salty air. I'm thinking that fondant would be the best. Has anyone had this dilemma and can please offer some advice???? BTW it is my daughter.. They've change their minds twice, but I really don't mind that they change their themes, as long as I have an idea what icing or if fondant is the best. Any help is much appreciated...

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions or help.

6 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #2 of 7

well i am not in a humid area but i would definately stay away from any kind of icing that needs to be refrigerated or is soft - like a whipped icing or something like that. If not fondant I would use a buttercream that has crisco in it and not butter. HTH

neikosmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neikosmom Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much, we are still teetering on fondant, but I will order some Sweetex, just in case she changes her mind...

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 21 May 2007 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 7

I use High Humidity Buttercream and have never had a problem even in August when is 100 degrees.

1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2c crisco
3 Tbls. Dream Whip (powdered whip topping mix)
3 drops butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. Clear Vanilla
3 drops lemon or orange flavoring, optional
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
2lb powdered sugar

Mix salt, crisco, dream whip and flavorings together on high speed 4-7 min. until mix. resembles whipped cream. Add flour, 1/2 of the milk and 1/2 of the sugar, Mix until blended. Add remaining milk and sugar and mix until blended.

This is a crusting buttercream so I keep bowl covered with a damp towel to keep it from crusting while I decorating with it. make enough to ice and decorate a 1/4 sheet cake. I will post this in the recipe section also. Hope this helps.

Val

johannap_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannap_73 Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

if you are worried about humidity, keep the cake in the oven with the light on and nothing else this will be a less humid area due to the light being on and the fact that the light will dry out any humidity that is in the oven this is also how i have dried flowers quickly over night if i have needed to and heeps the moisture off........just another use for your oven (remember dont turn on the heat)

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 22 May 2007 , 12:08am
post #6 of 7

Won't the boat be air conditioned?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:27am
post #7 of 7

I'm not in S FL, but I know a thing or two about salty air LOL! I would imagine the boat has AC, as most places in FL do... Like others mentioned, I would go w/ BC or fondant. Do you have a design? I often have problems with gumpaste and fondant decorations b/c of proximity to the ocean. They seem to suck the water from the air!! AC helps to lower the humidity - wish I had AC icon_wink.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%