This Happen To Anyone Else? Choc Mmf

Decorating By Lindseyr6 Updated 11 May 2007 , 11:33pm by jen1977

Lindseyr6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindseyr6 Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 5

So I made chocolate mmf fondant yesterday and when I went to roll it out a couple of hours later, it was really hard. I ended up kneading it for a long time and adding crisco to try to soften it up. I was able to roll it out and use it on my cake... BUT it has a really weird texture to it and I wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

I attached a picture of the pockmarked texture I am talking about. My teacher said she thinks it might be because of the amount of crisco that I kneaded into it. Its weird though because I followed the directions exactly, and didnt even use the whole 2 lbs of sugar... maybe only 1 1/2. Help! I want my fondant to be pretty and smooth~!!
LL

4 replies
CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 5

It's hard to tell what's going on in that picture. What kind of chocolate did you use? I usually melt my marshmallows with a little bit of semi-sweet and then knead it in a mixture of powedered sugar and cocoa powder.

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 11 May 2007 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

Same thing happened to me. I still don't know what I did wrong and haven't had a chance to try again. Just letting you know you aren't alone! (I ended up putting it in the microwave to soften it up alot in order to put it on, and it still looked the same as yours, kinda pockmarked/rough)

Randi

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 11 May 2007 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 5

if your MMF is too hard zap in micro for about 10-20sec before kneading. it softens up really well and is easier to knead...

Acouple of things could be wrong:
the Crisco could be the cause, you may kneaded in too much.

It could also be the brand of marshmallows.. I used cheap ones once and paid dearly for it!!!!

I leave my MMF overnight so the sugar dissolves properly in it and I get a better texture!!!

When you make it don't add all the sugar at once....keep some aside ...sometimes you need it and sometimes you don't ...just one of those weird cooking things!!!

icon_lol.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 5

This exactly why I won't use mmf anymore! The last several times I did use it, this happened, and I didn't do anything different than I had ever done before when making it! I started making Michelle Foster's fondant. The recipe is posted here on the site. It's very easy to make, and work with, and isn't nearly as messy to make. Tastes better too, and isn't as chewy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%