How To Ice Cupcakes(Singles)

Decorating By kakes Updated 6 Nov 2004 , 12:06am by GHOST_USER_NAME

kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakes Posted 4 Nov 2004 , 12:30am
post #1 of 8

HI, I would like to know how to ice a single cup cake besides the knife method. I want my cupcakes to look like the ones at the bakeries with the perfect swirl that covers it all.

thanks

7 replies
gritzdlitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gritzdlitz Posted 4 Nov 2004 , 5:44am
post #2 of 8

I have read to use tip 2110 to make the swirl. Trying this method this weekend!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Nov 2004 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 8

I use medium consistency buttercream with a very large star tip. Start at the outside edge and work in a circle. Continue until you get to the center, release pressure and pull up! Happy baking! Missey

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Nov 2004 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

To get that nice icecream cone look, I prefer a 9c or at least a 7c. I've attached a picture for you with it sitting next to a tip 22 so you can compare the difference.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/105830324/161977910csoVhv

Starting at the outside of the cupcake swirl your way to the inside.

I have Oreos with rosebuds on top of these cupcakes, but you can still see the results from using the correct tip:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/110806453/129365197TGInUF

Good luck!!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 5 Nov 2004 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 8

cali4dawn --

I love the look of the oreo cupcakes. Are the oreos dipped in candy melts?

Thanks,

Amy

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Nov 2004 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, it candy melts. I added shortening to the candy melts to make it more pourable. Just drop your Oreo in to the bowl of melted candy, remove using a fork and lay on a cooling rack. They dry pretty quickly.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 5 Nov 2004 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you cali4dawn.

I am not very experienced with candy melts. Do you add a teaspoon, tablespoon, 1/4 cup, etc., to a 14 oz bag of melts? And do you add extra flavor?

Thanks again,

Amy

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Nov 2004 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

It's a visual thing. Some candy melts are more smooth than others. I would start at adding 1/4 teaspoon and add more as needed. White and brown candy melts seem to not need as much if any at all. Blue seems to need a lot. Just add enough that you can easily dip the Oreos and get nice results.

No, I've never added extra flavor. I like the Oreo flavor to stand out. but I bet mint flavor would be nice with the chocolate and cream flavor.

BTW, I've heard a great mock Girl Scout Mint cookie is to take a Ritz cracker and cover it in mint flavored chocolate. I don't like mint, so I've never tried it. but I've heard of several decorators that have done this and swear by it.

You can cover absolutely anything you want. Candy melts are a great way to start until you learn how to properly temper chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%