Left Holding The Cake (Long)

Decorating By makincakeintx Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm by SugarBakers05

makincakeintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makincakeintx Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 24

Well my first "we have decided to another direction with our cake" has just happened.

Cake order was in for a month, full sheet, 1/2-1/2 choco/strawberry with cream cheese icing. She sent the design over in power point which was easy. Cake due late this morning. This has been a rushed week teaching 3 evening, remodeling our house, grandchild rushed to emergency room with a reaction to his shots, and this cake.

Well cake done and ready to go last night around 4:30pm, cleaned up the kitchen and off to teach by 5:45pm. Oh yea , helped graddaughter ice small cake for a cultural day at high school (last min, ha ha) on Malaysia. I don't even know where Malaysia is. Oh well that's another rant.

Back to cake story at hand. This morning I get up and get ready for cake pick-up, she should be here around 10:00am. So I check my e-mail this morning and low and behold there is an e-mail from her at 5:30pm last night saying " sorry I lost your number and could not call to cancel the order, we are going in a different direction with our cake"

What a hide. Surley she did not think I would get up this morning and complete the cake before a 10:00am pick up??

Oh well whatever!!!!! I replyed to her e-mail with this"I have received your e-mail and will be donating Nikis cake to the local fire department, as with everything I take them, I am sure they will enjoy it."

Funny thing is, I am really not that upset about it. Oh well donation it is. I guess the more deserving of our community will enjoy it.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I feel even better than I did before.

Happy piping!!!
Mel,

23 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 24

How RUDE!!!! I really would have had to ask them for payment anyway, since their cake was already complete!
At least the fire department will appreciate it!!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 24

Agree with Shelbur
I would have insisted on payment for the cake as notification at 5.30 the day prior to pick up is not sufficient notification in anyone's books. Even if she doesn't want it - you are out of pocket. And to say she didn't have your phone number is a pathetic and weak excuse... probably didn't have the cojones ?sp to tell you in person, let alone over the phone. Had you taken a deposit at all or was it all done in good faith?

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 24

They SOOOO would still be paying for that cake.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 24

kind of highlights why you get payment in advance.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 24

I am in shock that people would actually have the gall to do that. Yes, Pre pay!! or at least 1/2 anyway.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 24

Wow.. that is horrible. I hope the firefighters love the cake.. you are right.. they FAR more deserve it than she does. I would be asking for compensation too.. how rude!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 24

You have a great attitude about this!

I have no idea what made that woman think what she did was OK. "Another direction with our cake"? You mean the direction where you turn into a complete jerk and cheat someone out of their hard-earned money?
Unbelievable.

makincakeintx Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 24

All in good faith, no deposit. The daughter goes to Michaels kid club every Sat and that's how she got my name from our EC. Matter of fact she just had a birthday part there last Sat, had she had any cojones or cared she could have gotten my nunber again right where she got it the first time!!!

I decided not to persure the paying thing as the stress of it was not worth it to me.

I have however learned my lesson. At least 1/4 - 1/2 $$$$ up front or no cake for you!!!

On the bright side, I did get up and clean my living room extra good this morning so now it is ready for Mothers day. So there is a possitive right there. I am a big silver lining sort of girl.

We live, we laugh, and if we are lucky...we can eat (or donate) our cake problems!!!!!

Thanks for the support!!
Mel,

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 24

I am so sorry! That is just wrong! You did a great job handling it though! I am sure the firemen will love it and some day that lady will get hers! SHe should have offered to pay something! Sorry icon_sad.gif

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 24

Although we're still upset with your customer,
God bless you for your generousity to the fire department.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 24

It hasn't happened to me yet, but after working in a bakery for a few years I know it can happen. I require a 50% deposit with the order and remaining payment when cake is delivered (and if no final payment, no cake! no exceptions, they knew they ordered a cake) At least the 50% of order will cover my cost and a little bit of time.

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 24

Oh I love your attitude - I need to think more like you! icon_wink.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:36pm
post #14 of 24

I would still send her a bill......... that is just NOT right !

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:38pm
post #15 of 24

wow I can't imagine, I would never think to do that to someone even if I didn't make cakes, wow. Well I am glad that you can see the good in it!!

Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 11 May 2007 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 24

Silver linings are a great way to look at things but that doesn't mean she shouldn't pay. I agree with Grama_j you really need to send this woman a bill. Sending one is not stressful, if she doesn't pay then you can decide if you want the stress of pursuing it or not.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 24

Makincakeintx - you are a good person with a wonderful attitude and God will bless you 2 fold not only because of your good attitude but also for your generosity.

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 24

Mel, I second what moralna said. You sound like wonderful person.

makincakeintx Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 24

Moralna- Thanks for the kind words. I am just a grandma trying to make a few cakes and a few peoples lives happier. My husband and I take care of everyone. I am known as the mom of the block. We like it that way. We think it alls goes round in this world and I can only hope the people I touch will pay it forward!

Good luck and love to all.

Mel,

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:13pm
post #20 of 24

I am sorry but WHAT?????? OMG I cant believe some people. I admire your good attitude, but I think this woman needs to know the world doesnt work like that .

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:17am
post #21 of 24

You are such a sweetheart to take it so well. Karma will come around and bite her in the butt one way or another.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 7:07am
post #22 of 24

Hang on...does she think if she booked the venue, then cancelled the night before, she would be excused without having to pay?!?!? I'm sorry but heck no....or is she one of those awful 'it's just cake' people?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 9:24pm
post #23 of 24

What an awesome outlook you have, there is a special spot in heaven for you!

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 24

Surprising that she couldn't find your number to cancel, but she had no problem getting your email address! Heesh, some people. But with your positive outlook, only more blessings will come your way- we can all learn alot from you : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%