What Happens When You Forget Your Camera

Decorating By karensjustdessert Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 5:02pm by leta

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 12

I will try to make a long story short. Last week, I delivered a wedding cake (unassembled) to the next island. You go by ferry, and a tram takes you where you need to go (there are no cars allowed on the island). The boxes and I made it intact, and I go inside to use the restaurant's kitchen to finish and assemble the cake.
The bride and wedding planner had made arrangements for me to deliver the cake two days early, since I would be going out of state (for a Colette Peters class! yay!). Everyone in the restaurant's office looked at me like I was crazy and totally inconveniencing them. Finally, someone brings me to the kitchen. I find there has been no air in the restaurant or kitchen for almost a week (but they've been using fans!). Having a cake decorated with buttercream, I am a little more than worried.
I assemble and decorate the cake as quickly as I could in the horrendous humidity and heat. When I was done, I gave it several smoothings and made it look pretty darn wonderful. One of the employees helped me carry the cake (which was on the cake stand) into the walk-in, which was fortunately working very well. She cleared a safe corner for me and we deposited the cake there for the safekeeping.
Fast forward to today, 5 days after the wedding. The florist calls me to tell me something, he did not want me to hear it from the island's club. He said when he brought the flowers to the site, all he heard about was how ugly the cake was, and that person should not be doing cakes!
The florist had recommended me to the bride, so he was a little upset, to say the least. The catering manager and the wedding planner showed him my cake, which had fingerprint smears and gouges all over it! And a crack, too (which I can't explain, honestly, but I have my suspicions).
Now, really, would I leave a cake in that condition? Am I a high school freshman in Home Ec? He told me that the manager said the cake was like that when I left (he was not even there when I was working on the cake, nor was the wedding planner). I assured the florist, who I work with frequently, this cake was perfect when I left. And the design was exactly as the bride had drawn (she previously had another baker, who couldn't do it at the last minute, and asked me to copy the design and colors).
Anyway, as I am working on a huge cake right now, my confidence and nerves are shot. This is my reputatation, and it's being smeared all over the place because restaurant employees sabotaged my cake (the place has their own pastry chef).
The florist said he was able to make the cake just fine with the flowers (thank God!), and he's sure the couple did not know about the drama. Of course, when I called the restaurant this morning, I get the answering machine. Sigh.

11 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 12

I try to make it a habit to almost always carry a disposable camera in my purse - you never know when you need a picture.....either as evidence for a cake, or an auto accident (like happened to my niece, good thing she had a camera to prove the other person was in the wrong)

deb

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 12

Wow, what a horror story! I don't think I would ever want to leave a cake unattended for that long. Maybe the next time you decide to do this, you should have a contract for the customer to sign saying that you are not responsible for any damage to the cake after set up. ( I'll bet you never forget your camera again, huh?)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 12

oh man.........well, I guess you'll never forget the camera again will ya??? That stinks!!!! I would make a point from now on to either take photos and/or make the bride/groom come in and ok the cake before you leave....just to be on the safe side.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 12

Ohhhhhhhhhh - you poor thing! Consider it a lesson learned to never forget your camera or buy one of the box ones at Walgreens! (And I am going to remember your story and never forget a camera!)

I most certainly would demand satisfaction and make sure I went there in person with the Florist in tow! But I am an in-your-face- kind of girl and most people call me the B word. Do NOT let other people dictate how you react to this. If you were proud of your work when you left, stay proud of it even after they damaged it - - - go to the Restaurant and let them know how unprofessional this whole business is!

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 12

I am so sorry about this!!! Oh I had a bridezilla just a few weeks ago and of course I forgot my camera to prove how pretty the cake was!!!!

But we talked it over and all is well now. I totally understand where you are coming from. I have no idea what to say about it.

Except...I would call the resturant and tell them you are upset with how THEY are acting. How could they do that to you....especially since they MIGHT have gotten some business from you. That is no way to do business. Well, that is just my 2 cents.

Keep your sprits up!!!! You do great cakes and your florist wouldn't recommend you if you didn't. These things happen sometimes. Just take a deep breath.

Hope this helps!!!

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 12

so by your heading i take it that you didn't get a picture of it before you left cause you didn't say in your post. is it the one in your photots.

i am sorry that you are going through that. i would call the restaurant and find out what happend. and make it clear to them that you left the cake in good condition.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 12

I have a digital AND a disposable camera, and I left them in the car at the ferry terminal. Sigh again...I will definitely have people sign off on the cakes before I leave the site. No, the cake I did is not the one in the picture in my gallery. I am thankful the florist was upfront with me, but, then again, it is his reputation, too. Back to work now.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 12

That stinks so bad!! And all of the trouble you went through just getting the darn cake there in the first place. I feel for you, my friend!
I"m glad the florist was up-front with you. Thank goodness for that, at least.
I guess its true what they say, people just can't help but poke cakes.

Cindy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 12

WOW, people never cease to amaze me. I think I am going to go buy a camera and keep it in my cake tool box that goes with me as a Just in case i forget my digital. I can not imagine someone doing this, how rude!

So sorry it happened. At least the florist let you know what was going on and was nice enough to try and fix it.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 12

I broke my camera yesterday but I do have a camera phone. Just a thought.

I should be getting a new camera for my birthday. Yay!!!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 12

I wouldn't let anyone set up a cake for me. Sounds like the bride was really having a time finding someone to ferry a cake over to the event. Since the original decorator wasn't available and you weren't available on the particular date, she has to take what she can get.---not that you gave her less than the very best. Be thankful that you had a friend in the florist, between the two of you the cake was great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%