Pls Help - How To Use Flower Nail For Baking Sheet Cakes

Decorating By sonali00 Updated 8 Jun 2006 , 2:51am by mhill91801

sonali00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sonali00 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 9

A lot of posts advice using a greased, inverted flower nail for baking sheet cakes. I am planning to do a full sheet this weekend - my 1st. This sounds dumb, but once the cake is baked, how do I get the nail out? Does it not leave a big gaping hole, when I pull out the flower nail head?

Also, would 3 duncan hines mixes work for a full sheet or do I need more? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

8 replies
CreativeCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakery Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 1:27am
post #2 of 9

I have always wondered about the nail too. Do you put it in with the big round flat part against the bottom of the pan? And you're right...how does it come out? I would think it would make the cake prone to cracking.

Sorry I can't help, but I know someone here can!

good luck!

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 1:31am
post #3 of 9

I haven't used a nail yet, but from what I've heard, you place the nail with the flat side down in the pan and then when you flip the cake out onto a cooling rack you pull the nail out by the head... Hope that made sense... icon_confused.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:13am
post #4 of 9

I tried the flower nail and it did help the cake bake a little quicker. I put it in the middle of the pan and I like to use parchment paper on the bottom so I lined the bottom with that poking the nail through so the paper was over the nail. I spray the pan with crisco with flour and make sure I spray the whole nail. When the cake was done there was a very small hole from the nail and a little bit of an imprint from it, but it was hardly noticable.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:17am
post #5 of 9

I use a flower nail all the time. When you flip the cake out of the pan (upside down), you just pull the nail right out - leaves only a tiny hole - icing covers it up. I used to use the heating core and I hated the big hole it left in the cake. A nail works much better.

Amish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amish Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:18am
post #6 of 9

Yes I think thats right too. Putting the head of the flower nail to the base of the pan. Make sure you grease that too (the nail). Then after you flip the cake out of the pan just pull the flower nail out. Since the base of flower nail will then be on the top of the cake you just pull it out. Only a small hole will be left. I had trouble figuring it out too when I first heard about using a flower nail.

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:20am
post #7 of 9

I've used the flower nail when baking cakes over 10" without any problems. I've coated the nail with Bake Easy from Wilton's and put it in my pan with the flat top part of the nail on the bottom of the pan. My cakes have always baked over the nail so when I've turned them over there is no interference with the nail. I just pull out the nail head after I've turned it over and there is no problem with the cake. I think it is less hassle than using the heating core.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #8 of 9

I tried it recently for my 12x12x2 cakes and the flat part of the nail left big holes in the cake. I think because i flipped it onto a flat surface not a rack because my racks aren't that big. I didnt' feel like it cut down the time for me. I've been baking sheet cakes for a while with no problem and no nail.

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:51am
post #9 of 9

Just started using the inverted nail in my big cakes...works great!!! Once you flip the cake over, the nail head is basically just sitting on top of the cake. You can't even tell it was there. The baking time doesn't really change, but you don't have a big "dome" in the middle of the cake from uneven baking. I will always use this! I prepare my pans with pam and flour, but just spray the nail before I put it in the pan. I love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%