Do You Garden? How Do You Keep....

Lounge By makenice99 Updated 14 May 2007 , 5:43pm by keri0323

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:50am
post #1 of 9

The squirels from eating your vegtables and bulbs. I spent all week after work planting my vegtables & Lillies this week (in buckets in my backyard garden). Came home from work today and was getting ready to go water them to find that the squirels dug up 6 of my14 pots and ate my bulbs and attacked two of my lettuce. What can I do to keep them away from my yard or plants. Help
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Those bulbs were expensive too. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:05am
post #2 of 9

Squirrels are very distructive aren't they. Check out your yard for natural habitat. If you've a lot of trees and buildings with eaves and hideyholes they are attracted to your yard. And if there aren't any natural predators then you need to find one. I've used cayenne pepper, garlic solutions, commerical products, you name it. The best solution I've found is my cat Emma. She's never caught one, but she gives them grief so they've finally figured it isn't worth the hassle.

makenice99 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:39am
post #3 of 9

A cat. Never thought of that one. I have allergies so that wouldn't work for me. I was hoping there was something I could buy and spray or something. Those little buggers ate my bulbs and had the never to leave a trail. Does a scarecrow or bird feed work? icon_redface.gif

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:54am
post #4 of 9

when you clean out your hair brushes, put the hair around your plants, also i do this with my dogs hair when i brush them

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 11 May 2007 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 9

I have a big black lab who loves squirrel. icon_biggrin.gif

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 13 May 2007 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 9

take chicken wire and make like a little bag to bury your bulds in. The plants will come up normally but the squirrels will have difficulty eating them.HTH

makenice99 Posted 13 May 2007 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks you guys are the best thumbs_up.gif . I am gonna try them all less the cat & dogs. Once again thank you all and have Happy Mother's Day and I am off to Home Depot

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 14 May 2007 , 4:18am
post #8 of 9

Hope this isn't too late in coming - but I live in the country and have this problems too!

Liquid fence works great! It is water proof too! Also if you sprinkle cayane (sp?) pepper on the leaves they won't eat them either.

Hope this helps! I feel like I plant a buffet for animals not a garden sometimes! This had made a HUGE difference!

keri0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keri0323 Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 9

around here we use moth balls, set them near the plant and step on them to break them up, it worked so far for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%