Magnolia Tree

Decorating By mommymarilyn Updated 10 Jun 2006 , 12:08am by kjb

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 12

I have a request for a small birthday cake for a man who is receiving a Magnolia tree as his gift. We have decided on a 2-layer 6" cake. The only idea I could come up with is to ice the cake in blue, pipe a tree trunk on the side coming up to the top, and have magnolia flowers on the top of the cake. However, I'm afraid of 2 things:

1) It will look too cartoonish
2) It will look too girly.

I have some scrapbook paper to cover the board that looks like grass, so I would like to use that. Any ideas? This one is stumping me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marilyn

11 replies
SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 12

This might be dumb, but, since he is getting the tree to plant, what if you did a big hole with a fondant/gumpast tree looking like it's about to be planted. You could have a shovel, watering can, gardening gloves, etc.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 12

That's a good idea SLK.

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:23am
post #4 of 12

what about making a tree out of fondant and growing on the outside of the cake? I just did a baby shower cake and made trees on all 4 sides of the cake. Maybe you could make the trees look like a magnolia or pipe flowers on it?

I used a dowel and covered it in my homemade chocolate fondant. let that dry then made the top of the tree out of foil covered that in mmf then painted it green

SLK Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 2:59am
post #5 of 12

kjb - i noticed you said homemade chocolate fondant - is that choc mmf? I'm looking for a chocolate mmf recipe.

kjb Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:08am
post #6 of 12

uhhh..no marshmellows in this one... I stumbled on this cheater recipe one day: mix 1 jar chocolate frosting ( walmart brand works great!) and 1 lb of confectioners sugar...I mix mine in the kitchen aid with the dough hook attachment. mix until it is dough icon_lol.gif ...when rolling it out I use corn starch. Vanilla frosting works great too! Its ready to use as soon as you mix it...no cooling required. tastes good too! it hardens up nice and the vanilla can be painted with food coloring or food coloring can be added while you mix it.

the cake with the tree on it is in my photos if you wanted to see what I was talking about?

good luck!
Kim

SLK Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 3:22am
post #7 of 12

that's cool. I've never heard of such a thing. I am going to try this one. Thanks kjb.

mommymarilyn - have you decided what you are going to try?

sweetbaker Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 12

Wow kjb, that's sounds like a great alternative recipe to regular and mm fondants. I will have to try. Thanks for sharing!

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 12

Here is a pic of the cake. He wanted something simple, so I didn't get to do some of the wonderful ideas you guys gave me, maybe next time.

I loved SLK's idea for the gloves and shovel, with a hole and dirt for planting the tree!

KJB - I loved the trees on your cake - they are so cute!

It's a 6-inch, 2-layer milk chocolate cake with cookies-n-cream filling. I used the dream whip buttercream, (dragon warlord's recipe) and chcolate fondant for the tree trunk, MMF for the flowers and leaves.
LL

SLK Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 12

nice job - it looks great. The flowers are really nice.

sweetbaker Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 12

Good job! The flowers are great.

kjb Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 12:08am
post #12 of 12

love it! You did a GREAT job! I love the magnolias being different sizes!

so I have to ask did you end up using my recipe for homemade chocolate fondant...and if so what did you think?

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%