Air Brush Question

Decorating By keonicakes Updated 8 Jun 2006 , 4:42pm by MelC

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 3

I've never used an airbrush, although I do have one and a full set of colors for it. My question is this: If I'm doing something big like a building that will be all one color, should I go ahead and just color my icing, or should I ice the whole cake in white bc then airbrush it with my beige color? Will the white show through?

2 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 3

I specifically got my airbrush to do dark colors such as red, royal blue and black. In reality, I've found that the coverage isn't smooth enough to suit me, so I don't use it on large things. But, you might have a better touch than I do. It's hard to get enough color on...without causing runs and splotches. I think the key is many thin layers, but so far I just haven't found the right combination. I've also read that thinning the color with everclear or vodka helps - you can lay down more color without fear of making a runny mess, due to the higher evaporation rate. Haven't tried that yet.

I'd definitely practice on a dummy first. And definitely on icing. People recommend paper towel for practice, but the two substances behave totally differently, IMHO.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a kind of organic look that isn't totally smooth and one color all over....the airbrush might give you exactly what you're looking for.

I had the best luck so far spraying white on a sugar mold (it just wasn't pure white enugh to suit me). And gold on fondant. That worked out GREAT!

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 8 Jun 2006 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 3

I've done several red, black or navy cakes... (lots in my gallery!) I always colour my icing first to a lighter shade (i.e. a darker pink if I'm after red). Also, if I'm after black icing, I always sart with chocolate & airbrush that with the black!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%