Soggy Cardboard!

Decorating By pancake Updated 7 Jun 2006 , 5:55pm by shelain22

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 12

When you do a stacked cake with BC frosting, do you cover the cardboard rounds with anything? (besides the very bottom one, of course) I know they're food safe, but when you cut into the tiers, and take away the pieces of cake, does anyone else notice that the rounds are a liitle on the soggy side? Do you ever think that grosses out the non-cake-decorating customers!?....or maybe I'm the only weird one who doesn't cover them!! icon_lol.gif

11 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 12

I have yet to make a stacked cake, but I was doing some research on it and I did read that you are supposed to cover the cardboard between the layers. I think glad press and seal was recommended.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 12

You need to wrap them in foil or some people wrap with contact paper. Also I think if you use the waxed boards you don't have such a problem. I've always wrapped with foil.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 12

There are cakeboards out there called TUF and you shouldn't have that problem. They have a type of coating on them. They are washable too -- well they can be rinsed too.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 12

Since I do most of my cakes for family and friends, I have reusable cake boards that I cover with a food-grade covering that I get at my local cake decorating supply store. The covering comes in a variety of colors and patterns and adds a lot to the overall look of the cake. If you look in my gallery, I did a square wedding cake with a gold base. The base is actually a styrofoam dummy covered in this metallic paper.

I have a bunch of different boards, some are actually cutting boards in different sizes, some are varying thicknesses of plywood. I never have trouble with soggy boards or with cracked icing because they're very sturdy.

When I do a cake for someone who won't be able to return the board, I usually stack several of the cardboard cake boards, tape them together, then cover them.

I hope that helps!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 12

You could even use saran wrap. I use clear contact paper, mostly.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 12

You can use cling wrap or foil, or any other food safe coving. I'm not sure that contact paper is recommended, though.

Angie

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 12

I use clear contact paper on both sides and have never had a problem.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 12

I cover my boards with press 'n seal - works great.

pancake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 12

Okay!...I gues I AM the only weird one who hasn't been covering them!! icon_lol.gif I have used foil once but it all came up when we cut each of the cake layers. Thanks, everyone, I think I'll try that press n' seal stuff! Or buy some different boards with a coating on them.

pancake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 12

Okay!...I gues I AM the only weird one who hasn't been covering them!! icon_lol.gif I have used foil once but it all came up when we cut each of the cake layers. Thanks, everyone, I think I'll try that press n' seal stuff! Or buy some different boards with a coating on them.

shelain22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelain22 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun33082

some people wrap with contact paper. .

My stupid roots are showing, but is contact paper that stuff that you get to cover your shelves with? that stuff should be food safe, shouldent it? If it is, can you cover the boards with a pattern that matches the cake so that when its cut the pattern showes up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%