Business By Janette Updated 25 May 2007 , 11:25pm by paolacaracas

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:52am
post #31 of 79

NZ, you're scary

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:55am
post #32 of 79

I delivered a wedding cake this past weekend that was an hour drive away, into the back boonies. I have a policy that if the order is over $400.00 the customer gets free delivery.... that gas bill hurt on that one.

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:01am
post #33 of 79

That would be hard to charge del for a $400 cake

That's why I was thinking maybe member will raise there prices slightly instead of have to charg a del charge.

cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:06am
post #34 of 79

I remember when a $20 bill would buy me a full tank of gas, a piece of pizza and a 20oz pop and I would still get some change from that.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:16am
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Do I see Mulder lurking in the corner? icon_lol.gif

Debi, I'm not going to lie to you, I had to look up "Mulder". Not to make you feel old or anything. icon_lol.gif I do remember the X-files though- they scared the bijeezes out of me! icon_lol.gif

But the government DOES hide so much from us. . . icon_twisted.gif

nglez09 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:16am
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

NZ, you're scary

Am I? icon_twisted.gificon_razz.gif

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:17am
post #37 of 79

For 35 cents we got a hambuger, fries and slaw at the locak resturant.

Went to the Saturday movies to a triple feature for 25 cents.

The Dime store really sold things for a dime.

There was a 3 cent chocolate candy bar with nuts

You went to the store and bought a bag of penny candy. Pop was 10 cents.

I still remember when Lucky Charms came out for the first time 29 cents, that was a little high.

khoudek Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:22am
post #38 of 79

Janette, We must have grown up in the same era. I'd get my mom's Toyota and we'd all chip in 50 cents for gas. We'd get do the town loop all night long. I be able to fill that tank almost with $3.00 during the 29 cent gas wars!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:24am
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nglez09

Quote:

Do I see Mulder lurking in the corner? icon_lol.gif

Debi, I'm not going to lie to you, I had to look up "Mulder". Not to make you feel old or anything. icon_lol.gif I do remember the X-files though- they scared the bijeezes out of me! icon_lol.gif

But the government DOES hide so much from us. . . icon_twisted.gif

Make me feel old!? I have a 14 year old who watched X-Files with me! It's not THAT long ago! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I got my driver's license in 1975 .... right in the middle of the '70's gas crisis. When gas went from 29 cents to 42 cents inside of a year, all of the adults went into dooms-day mode and swore they'd be rationing gas any minute! I could put a dollar's worth of gas in the car and run it for a day or two. Of course, I also had a job that only paid $1.25 an hour so I guess it's proportional.

I worked in the movie theaters from the age of 14 to 16 (ok I'll tell ya .... 30+ years ago!!!!). You know how drive-in prices are always SO expensive? We sold cigarettes for (gasp!) 60 cents a pack and people complained on how they were getting gouged on the price!

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:25am
post #40 of 79

You could tell the attendent 50 cents please. And, he would wash your window and check your oil and if you wanted he would check the air in your tires.

I quit smoking when they were 35 cents I thought that was outradeous.

nglez09 Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:29am
post #41 of 79

Oh I remember the X-files, just not the specifics. icon_wink.gif And I remember drive-in theaters too- I'm originally from a small farm town.

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:35am
post #42 of 79

Awww, did your Mom put you in your PJ's so you would fall asleep and they could enjoy the movie. Then when you got home you just went stright to bed.

Did you go to the consistion stand in your PJ's

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:41am
post #43 of 79

Does anyone remember Sinclair stations

indydebi Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:43am
post #44 of 79
Quote:

Me! Me! Me!

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:47am
post #45 of 79

Wow, your older than dirt

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 11 May 2007 , 5:12am
post #46 of 79
Quote:

We still have Sinclair stations. It's the only place around that still has full service.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:45am
post #47 of 79

Lady of cake
The 3-day week was in the early 1970s in the UK when a severe power shortage meant that there was only sufficient power for businesses to work 3 out of 7 days so literally that was all that could be worked. It affected every aspect of our lives - I was a child at the time and remember vividly the effect it had on our everyday lives. I think it was quite frightening for our parents.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:01pm
post #48 of 79

Anyone know the percentage of prices? I know everything seemed cheaper "back in the day" but someone wanna do the math of the cost of a gallon of gas compared with the average yearly wage in 1975 and then compared to today?

indydebi Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:19pm
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Anyone know the percentage of prices? I know everything seemed cheaper "back in the day" but someone wanna do the math of the cost of a gallon of gas compared with the average yearly wage in 1975 and then compared to today?

In 1975, min wage was around $2.10. I was making $1.25/hour because the theaters were considered seasonal work and was exempt from the min wage. Gas was $0.40-$0.50 a gallon. So you had to work 1/4 of an hour to buy one gallon of gas. With my wage, I had to work 1/2 hour to buy a gallon of gas.

Today's min wage is $5.15. So one would have to work more than 1/2 hour to guy a gallon of gas.

We also need to factor that cars today have MUCH higher gas efficiencies than they did back then, too, so the gas is going further.

http://www.inthe70s.com/prices.shtml
This link is a chart showing what various items cost and the incomes. In 1975, gas was $0.57 a gallon. In 1995, it was $1.11. The price doubled in 20 years. Income in 1975 was slightly under $10K ... in 1995, it was slightly under $20K. Doubled in 20 years.

It's kinda funny that bread prices increased over 5 times (instead of just doubling) but no one seems to be concerned about that.

Kitagrl Posted 11 May 2007 , 12:55pm
post #50 of 79

That's interesting! I always wonder because we all look back to when a house cost $40,000 but then the yearly income was so much less than most of us make today.

It does look like within the next few years though, the costs are going to go up even for our higher modern incomes if you include the price of utilities and gas. icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #51 of 79
Quote:

That's interesting! I always wonder because we all look back to when a house cost $40,000 but then the yearly income was so much less than most of us make today. icon_sad.gif

My first mother-in-law was famous for that. She loved telling people how they bought a house and FIL was only making $60 a week. She always forgot to tell the part about her house payment only being $40 a month! This was in 1940, when the average income was $1900 a year. Minimum wage was $0.30/hour. And FIL was making ($60/week x 50 weeks = $3000). Good lord, at that time, they were considered rich! But she always left THAT part out! icon_lol.gif

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:55pm
post #52 of 79

Our first house was $19,000

Years ago I did a ratio of income, houses and cars compared to what was current at the time. There was a big difference. Income hasn't gone up percentage wise as houses and cars.

Mom2 you must live in a time capsel.

Kitagrl Posted 11 May 2007 , 1:58pm
post #53 of 79
Quote:

Our first house was $19,000

Years ago I did a ratio of income, houses and cars compared to what was current at the time. There was a big difference. Income hasn't gone up percentage wise as houses and cars.

Mom2 you must live in a time capsel.

Depends on the area too...houses here are outrageous (4 bdrm 2 bath home with a yard in decent neighborhood no less than $300,000) although the wages are somewhat higher too. Not sure that they are high enough to afford that though. Most "average" workers in America can usually afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood but you have to have a fairly good job to afford that here IMO.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 11 May 2007 , 3:24pm
post #54 of 79

One factor that no one has mentioned, especially with the cost of food going up is that the cost to Farmers for corn has gone up (major feed component for cattle, chickens(eggs), and pigs)... Did you hear that in Mexico, Mexicans are having protests over their tortilla prices jumping so drastically... Don't mess with their tortillas! Because corn is going to Ethanol plants (E-85)... The issue is not just "big oil", we have domestic sources that show more oil to fuel our own economy, but no one wants to tap into them (Alaska drilling anyone??), but its the question of, do we REALLY want to become less dependent upon it or is it lip service.

Sadly, we can't have it both ways. Prices of the common products we purchase are going to go up because of Ethanol and the prices of gas are going to go up because of self-preservation of the market. Do I think farmers should get more for their corn, YES! I grew up on a farm and know that if you want to see someone living on a tight budget, and having to make by with tough decisions, farmers! However, I'm also not going to jump on Ethanol or Bio Diesel because it is Agriculture meeting a need that the public wants and creating a new market for its products that are still at 1970's rates if you adjust for inflation.

BUT, what bugs me, in this state with a $2BILLION surplus... We've got $3/gallon gas here, and the tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif in the legislature want to raise gas taxes $.10/gallon (got vetoed), now $.05/gallon (which is also going to get vetoed) with the claim they'll use it for roads, when in reality, this legislature will put the money into choo choos that only carry a tiny segment of the population and doesn't raise enough in fares to pay for itself, but we can have car killing, dentist's job security potholes in out-state MN... But we've got mass transit that no one uses other than to go to the State Fair for free...

khoudek Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #55 of 79

When my husband and I were looking to buy our first house in 1981, I had a co-worker who bragged that she and her husband bought their home in the early 60s for less than $10,000. Basic ranch with 3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room and bath and a half. My daughter and her fiance are looking at homes to buy right now and "starter" homes are at least $100,000.

Kitagrl Posted 11 May 2007 , 4:16pm
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

When my husband and I were looking to buy our first house in 1981, I had a co-worker who bragged that she and her husband bought their home in the early 60s for less than $10,000. Basic ranch with 3 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room and bath and a half. My daughter and her fiance are looking at homes to buy right now and "starter" homes are at least $100,000.

Even in TN? Wow. Yeah here I saw an ad for a house for like $210,000 and it said "great starter home". Yikes.

Janette Posted 11 May 2007 , 6:36pm
post #57 of 79

I drove by my old $19,000 house today. It looks nothing like it did when we lived there. Over the years it has been sided and a new porch. It was if it never was. I know they are going for around $154,000 now. Just think if we would have stayed there we'd be rich.

I forgot about the Farmers, talk about getting the tapedshut.gif end of the deal.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 11 May 2007 , 10:26pm
post #58 of 79
Quote:

Quote:

Me! Me! Me!

Man! Did Jesus sign your yearbooks?? he he he

Just kidding. I'll be 35 next month. Do you know my son had the nerve to ask me what type of music I listened to when I was "young?"

Janette Posted 12 May 2007 , 12:07am
post #59 of 79

Your too big for your britches icon_lol.gif Don't ask me what that means, it's something my Grandmother use to say. Back in the Stone Age.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #60 of 79
Quote:

Yeah here I saw an ad for a house for like $210,000 and it said "great starter home". Yikes.

I wish I could get a house for $210,000. There is nothing in my area for under $250,000...and that's for a 50 year old house that needs work. We have our choice between brand new houses on a postage stamp lot that cost a fortune or older houses on large lots that cost a fortune. We will be renting for ever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%