Need To Torte A 12X3" Wedding Cake??? Help!!!!!!!

Decorating By ajoycake Updated 7 Jun 2006 , 3:21am by ajoycake

ajoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajoycake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 2:55am
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding cake due which is a 12" and 8" stacked construction. I noticed that the only 12"pan I have is a 3" rather than the 2" I always use. Should I torte this 3" or leave it. The 8 is a 2" double layer done the usual way. Also you would surport the 8 with surport in the 12", right?? I hope I am making sense?? icon_confused.gif

7 replies
candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:04am
post #2 of 8

I've never torted a cake so large before so I can't help you there really. I can only suggest to use a cake circle to split and support the layers, sliding the circle in before you pull the layer off...and then sliding the layer back on after filling it.

As for support, I would definitely use dowels in the 12" cake. I've heard of people using straws, but I don't know if those are strong enough. I've also heard of people using these asian bubble tea straws because they are bigger or what not. Never tried that myself.

Hope that helps!

ajoycake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:08am
post #3 of 8

Thanks
I will use plastic dowls in the 12
and now i am leaning twords not torting the 12
thanks

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:10am
post #4 of 8

If the 12" pan is deeper than the other, and you are baking it taller, I wouldn't torte it just so the cake heights would be close. If you torte the 3" pan, I think you would be able to see the height difference. I would just put the filling between the two layers and torte the smaller one.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:13am
post #5 of 8

How about not filling the 12" pan the whole way and just bake 2 2" layers?

ajoycake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:19am
post #6 of 8

I actually have done this with the 12. I filled it up a little bit 2 different times so i could make a 12x2 with buttercream in the middle but call me lazy but I think I could get away with a 3" not torted and call it a day? Thoughts?

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:19am
post #7 of 8

You can bake a 2"cake in the 3"pan. I would do the same to the bottom as the top. if you need two 2" cake layers, just bake twice then layer together.

When you stack make sure the 8" is on a cakeboard to stack on top of the doweled 12". Then when it is stacked, sharpen a dowel and tap it through both layers piercing through the 8" cakeboard and through to the base of the 12". That will keep the layers together as you transport the cake.

Look up the article on assembling tiered cakes here at cake central. It has instructions and pics.

I'm sure you'll do great!

ajoycake Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:21am
post #8 of 8

thanks for the reminder on the center dowel, i would have fogotten!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%