Samples For A Planner

Business By Lenette Updated 15 Jun 2006 , 2:21pm by TamiAZ

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 10

I have a meeting with an event planner. I would like some advice as far as samples. I am going to work on some more photos so I will have a decent album. I want to make my samples look really nice. I want to be memorable to her so that I am one of the first people she thinks of when the opportunity to make a referral comes. I am really trying to build my biz, hopefully this will help. So any and all suggestions are appreciated. How many flavors is too many? I don't want to overwhelm her but I do want to give her a good feel for what I am all about. Should I bring a dec. cookie or mints or anything else? Advice, suggestions, anything is welcome! Thank you!

9 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 10

I'm curious too. A lady from my husbands work asked if I could bring in some pictures of my cakes and some samples. I've got pictures but have no clue as to what I do for samples. Are they whole cakes? Cut up pieces of cakes? Like you stated how many different flavors? I'm confused. I'll be watching this forum for replies.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 10

Here's some cute wedding cookies:from www.sunflowerbaking.com

And here is a link to cake boxes...You could just purchase the boxes in your area & add a fabric bow...I think it adds a special touch to it...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.weddingthings.com/Merchant2/graphics/samples/cake_box_samples.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.weddingthings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv%3FScreen%3DPROD%26Store_Code%3DWeddingThings%26Product_Code%3DCKBX999&h=350&w=300&sz=21&hl=en&start=45&tbnid=4igXfJ_gk-X6UM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcake%2Bsamples%26start%3D40%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

You could do a little 6" cake & some cupcakes like the ones in this picture & put them in the boxes with the ribbon...I think they would definitely remember you...It gives them a nice presentation also:

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2005/10/13/have_a_slice_of_wedding_cupcake.php

I thought maybe this could help get you started thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 10

Oh & as far as flavors, I wouldn't go overboard. Definitely samples of chocolate, white & maybe pick one more. Then you could do different fillings for each if you wanted. And maybe 2 different kinds of icing because not everyone likes the same...so maybe a buttercream & some sort of whipped icing.

Now, with my brides cheesecake/cake weddding cakes are really popular right now...maybe instead of a third flavor of cake, you could do mini cheesecakes?

Anjoli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anjoli Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 10

When my sister got married and met with the woman making her cake, the samples were in forms of cupcakes--I think there were like 5 different samples...and there delicious, I might add. LoL. I don't really remember what kind of cake/icing each sample was though.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 5:08am
post #6 of 10

I recently came across some pictures on flickr.com that showed some samples. One was small cakes with frosting on top and each one was a different flavor...a little messy looking, but could be done neatly. The other was slices of cake on a white plate with the flavors written onto the actual plate itself. Out of curiosity, I tried it on my plates and it worked great...the marker washed right off! These were white plates I got from the Grand Hotel when they were revamping the entire place...those heavy white stoneware type plates that restaurants use. So, here's the pics...hope they help with some ideas. icon_smile.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you! Those are nice and yes helpful. icon_smile.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 14 Jun 2006 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 10

Great idea going to a planner...it really worked for me this past year, and has saved me so much time and money with marketing my business.
I made a small decorated cake, a smaller decorated cake, and a couple cupcakes with fillings (I inject 'em), and frosting. Also, I brought my portfolio with me to show other work I can do (cookies, desserts, and chocolate strawberries or favors). Good luck, and have fun! And ask lots of questions, wedding planners are a great resource for ideas and vendors.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 10

I would take maybe 3 different flavors of cake & filling. A plain white cake should definitely be one of the flavors, since that's what most brides ask for. The other two could be a chocolate and maybe a flavor that is a favorite with your non-wedding customers. I wouldn't get too crazy w/a wild flavor, since most brides are trying to pick a flavor of cake that they know everyone will like. Mini cakes are really trendy right now, so you can use this as an opportunity to show off your skills and let her know that you can do these as well. If you work well with fondant, at least one of the cakes should be covered in fondant. The other frosting should definitely be BC.

Good luck!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 15 Jun 2006 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 10

When I did consultations I would take single layer 5" cakes (I made these when I had left over batter).. I would tort and put a filling in them. I would use a 9X13 box and board, which I covered with butcher paper and then I would put a tulle bow around the box. The brides loved getting these little cakes and I think the way I pacakaged them was a nice touch. Yes, it probably cost me a little more, but first impressions are very important!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%