What Does Your Dh/so Do When You.....

Decorating By gilpnh Updated 7 Jun 2006 , 1:39am by Jenn123

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 30

start talking about cake, specifically planning one out.
I like to bounce my ideas off my husband, flavor combos, design etc. Most of the time he is really helpful, has an eye for placement, design and color that I lack, much past that though, when I start talking technique etc, he gets a glazed look and mumbles and tries to look interested bless his heart. He is my best critic, tells me like it is, in the best possible way!! Gotta love em.

29 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 30

Yeah...the "glazed" look. I've learned to know that one well!

Mine's really laid back, though--so I have to actally just show him pics, and ask him which one he likes BETTER--because if I just gave ideas, he'd be like, "Well, why don't you just put some flowers on and forget it?!"

So, yeah...

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 30

Funny topic! Mine is very encouraging and although he doesn't give ideas or suggestions he always listens to me babble, with a bit of that glazed look... The only thing he does that's annoying is gripe about the power bill when I get to baking icon_biggrin.gif

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 30

My DH is a BIG critic, before I can even get through decorating he is standing beside me or walking by and says what in the world is that supposed to beicon_smile.gif

DRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRose Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 30

MIne doesn't usually get involved. I can only remember one time where he said a cake needed more flowers.

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 30

my hubby is AWESOME when it comes to this stuff. Especially when it comes to technique. he always seems to have an easier way to do things and when he tells me, I'm jsut like "duh, why didn't I think of that??" He's awesome

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 30

Mine begs to eat some, lick the frosting paddle, wait for tops to be cut off, etc... icon_biggrin.gif Between him and the two boys, I don't have enough leftovers to go around! icon_lol.gif
Very supportive of my new trials, encourages me to try new things (maybe waiting for me to screw up so he can eat it!!! ) icon_wink.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 30

Well let's see.....hmmmmm icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif My DH is extremely supportive. He is the one who got me the "job" making the cakes for the hospital so I owe him a bunch! He gives me ideas like the rope/tassel on some of my cakes. Yeah, now that's become a requested item on some of the cakes. As of late he's been doing all the work for my edible images. He's out to sea for seven weeks right now and I have four cakes next week. Where is he when I need him!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Actually, he just emailed me today in response to my "panic" about doing the images solo and asked me to email him all the images and he'll crop, clean up, and size the images for me and then email them back!!! Now that's helpful!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gif He also encouraged me to try the Australian stringwork on my cake show entry! Turned out very well IMO!!!! I trust his opinion very much when it comes to my decorating. Sometimes it take another eye to see things clearly when I'm in the middle of a meltdown!!!

Amy

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 30

My husband is incredible with this stuff. I definately go to him first when I'm trying something different, such as a beehive cake I did earlier this year. He looks at it and tell me if he thinks the physics of the cake would work. He will also let me know, in the nicest possible way, if something doesn't look right. But when I start talking specifics I do see that glazed look too...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 30

My Hubby is great...he is the first to encourage me about any cake and my best FAN!! He says how beautiful my cakes are and cuts me boards and helps me carry them etc...He secretly puts money in my Ebay account so I can buy my cake stuff when I am feeling down or over whelmed.I,like the rest of you are very lucky also...

tgirl22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgirl22 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 30

mhill - you just described my husband to a tee!!! Mine is very supportive, emotionally and financially, but just dying for me to screw up a cake for him to eat!!!!

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:52am
post #12 of 30

My DH came home from the hardware store this afternoon and held up a 4-inch putty knife for me. I had mentioned in passing that I was thinking about getting one for smoothing the sides of my cakes. I was so surprised--I didn't even think he was paying attention.

I do get a lot of support from him. When I was trying to decide on a cake for my granddaughter's birthday, I showed him a photo of a Wilton butterfly cake where all the colors were piped in stars. He said, "That would be too easy for you. Find something that shows off what you can do." Which I did, and he was right.

Gotta love 'em.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:57am
post #13 of 30

Mine is great. Sometimes he is very understanding, others he gets hairy. But he actually comes up with great ideas. He is the one that helped me with my tea party cake--I said I wanted a tea party topper and he came up with the rest of the design. Sometimes he comes up with really elaborate designs and I just look at him like, "Um, hello, I can't do THAT!" icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif But he is also very helpful--he'll cook cakes for me if I am behind (I work full-time, teach 2 nights a week, have three kids...).

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 3:54am
post #14 of 30

Missy -

Love your Dr. Seuss quote!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 6:55am
post #15 of 30

Mine is very supportive. We have a small ( I mean SMALL) kitchen, and over half of it is filled with cake stuff. He encourages me to make cakes, even does the dishes for me. When the mixer broke in the middle of a double batch of bc, he finished it by hand AND made another batch when I ran out. Of course, I chase him out of the frosting on a regular basis. He refuses to let me smoosh the cakes flat, though - I have to cut them level, so he gets his payment of scraps! He is even trying to design some new cake stands for me.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 7:55am
post #16 of 30

Mine is a wonder when it comes to cakes....he is really artistic, so he loves planning cakes and then putting them together. I can credit him for several of the cakes, especially the story book cakes and the dragon cake. Anytime I need something over the top, he'll do it for me! The only thing he doesn't do is the baking or making icing.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 30

My husband nods alot when I'm going on and on about my ideas or trying to explain where I'm going with a cake. But he always tells me he's proud of me. And he comes up with complicated cake ideas I know I can't do, but I love him for thinking that I can. His friends are another story. They want to know where the cake knife is and why we aren't eating it. icon_smile.gif

Great topic. It's fun to read all the responses.
Angie

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:01pm
post #18 of 30

as soon as I say "cake".......my DH says........oh noooo.......not another cake!!! Am I going to have clean socks and underwear this week???? ugghhhhhhh......LOL

Seems when i really get into planning a cake I don't clean the house or do any laundry and we end up with a gorgeous cake on the kitchen table and nobody has any clean clothes to wear!!!! hahahhahahah ooopss!!!!!! Oh well........pretty much when I babble on and on about the design he says...."Honey........it's a CAKE!!!" If it looks even remotely close to what it's suppose to......they'll love it.........if they complain....tell them IT'S A CAKE!!!!!! gotta love him!!

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:13pm
post #19 of 30

My husband is the best. He is my best critic telling me when things are the greatest or different ways that I can acheive a look. He really gets into the cake decorating when he gets to help out by cutting me plywood for the cakes or cutting the dowels. He is very proud of my accomplishments and for the fact that I have finally found something I enjoy doing.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:16pm
post #20 of 30

Looks like alot of you are lucky....................I will ask what he thinks of how a cake turned out, just gives me a blank look and says "what do you want me to say, it's a cake" icon_confused.gif So much for support.........

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:24pm
post #21 of 30

My DH gets the glazed look, too. But he is extrememly supportive. I can take a cake to him and say what does it need or does it need something else? Get him a couple of suggestions and he usually picks the right one.

Also, I try not to talk cake too much--I can't get him to go to the convention with me ("What am I suppose to do while you are at the cake show?" DUH--it's Dallas area!!!)

The last jaw-dropping comment he made has been some time ago. I made a wedding cake for a friend's brother. Standing in the kitchen with my friend and her hubby, he says "That cake looks like it should be in a magazine." Did he stop there...NO! He added "But, you get up close and you see all the mistakes!" icon_eek.gif Needless to say, I got dinner out that night.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:29pm
post #22 of 30

My MIL used to run a cake business when my husband was a kid, and he did cakes for the fair competitions, so he knows a bit.
(BTW, out of 9 kids none of them are interested in cake decorating, so I got all her stuff! icon_biggrin.gif )
He's helpful with suggestions if I'm having trouble getting a design right.
He tends to like the "flowers/piping" style and isn't won over to fondant and such.
Most of all, he is extremely understanding when the housework doesn't get done, like a lot of us it sounds like! icon_wink.gif
Also, he took the day off work to help me with myfirst wedding cake/delivery! king.gif

ANGELA0520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELA0520 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 1:37pm
post #23 of 30

I have to give my dh a lot of credit. he bakes the cakes, makes icing and even helps me decorate when I am tired. He is rally supportive and even gives me ideas. I really appreciate all the help he gives me, without him I would not be able to do it.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 4:20pm
post #24 of 30

My DH doesn't want to see any cakes (especially the sculputed ones) until they are done, because he said he loves to see what I can do with cake. it kind of spoils it for him to see it in the works. (he is the same with my artwork as well, so I am used to it) He does love it when I am torting as he gets to eat the crowns! hahaha!

As far as support, he is wonderful! There are some weeks where I have to work all day and decorate and bake as soon as i get home. Some nights I am so tired, I just pile everything in the sink and figure i will attack it in the morning. He often will just clean up after me and load the dishwasher. He also doesn't try to put anything away, as I have all these bins for stuff and he knows I like it organized. So he just lays the clean stuff out for me to put away.

there was one week where I had so many cakes he bought dinner home a couple of times so I didn't even have to deal with cooking dinner!

He also gives me business advice and helps me with my taxes and marketing plans.

I don't know what I would do without him!

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 7:41pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Looks like alot of you are lucky....................I will ask what he thinks of how a cake turned out, just gives me a blank look and says "what do you want me to say, it's a cake" icon_confused.gif So much for support.........

MomLittr, your cakes are great. He probably just doesn't realize what it takes to do what you do. Don't take it to heart. And just because we're all bragging about our wonderful DH's--don't think we don't also have gripes about them too icon_lol.gif

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 9:57pm
post #26 of 30

Well, when I started coming home with deco. supplies in April, he said "Oh, a new hobby" and "cakes are a fattening hobby" icon_rolleyes.gif

Now that I've done a few and talk about them more, he's really great about it. He saw my sketches of the cake I just did and all the supplies laid out and said "they make square cake pans?" My turn to icon_rolleyes.gif He cut my square plywood board for me, and washed out the icing from the tips by hand! His mom didn't bake/decorate so he enjoyed seeing it go from cooling rack to finished product. I think I have a supporter! When I get good enough to charge money, I will hear "Why didn't you get into this sooner" LOL

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 9:57pm
post #27 of 30

Well, when I started coming home with deco. supplies in April, he said "Oh, a new hobby" and "cakes are a fattening hobby" icon_rolleyes.gif

Now that I've done a few and talk about them more, he's really great about it. He saw my sketches of the cake I just did and all the supplies laid out and said "they make square cake pans?" My turn to icon_rolleyes.gif He cut my square plywood board for me, and washed out the icing from the tips by hand! His mom didn't bake/decorate so he enjoyed seeing it go from cooling rack to finished product. I think I have a supporter! When I get good enough to charge money, I will hear "Why didn't you get into this sooner" LOL

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 10:17pm
post #28 of 30

My hubby is more like KHalstead & Momlittr's - he's just thinks - it's only cake so what's the big deal? He usually complains about having to play with the kids instead of sleeping on the couch while I decorate one if he's around. Could be because I tend to take a long time to do them just so I can have a break from the kids!! icon_biggrin.gif

rflores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rflores Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 1:24am
post #29 of 30

I'm in with khalstead mine is so not interested. when i say cake he says " oh that's nice baby, try not to make a mess" I'll ask him what he thinks about a design idea and he says "whatever you think honey" When i make one he says the same thing it's really pretty. I want his honest opinion!!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 1:39am
post #30 of 30

Mine mixes, bakes, decorates, babysits, does paperwork, delivers cake, shops for forgotten ingredients, eats scraps, and admires my work. What more could I ask for?

He's very supportive and appreciates the extra money I bring in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%